New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Deer with Bow
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I finally got it done! Harvested my first deer with a bow. Got a nice fat whitetail doe at 6 yards with my Pearson Diamondback. I was shooting Blackhawk Vapor carbon arrows tipped with Muzzy 100g broadheads. She only went 40 yards before tipping over.

Over the years I have killed antelope, mule deer, whitetail, elk, moose, bison, and bear with rifles. Even with all these critters under my belt, I have to say that this doe was one of my proudest, most exciting, adrenaline filled moments in my hunting career. I'm hooked!!

MG

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
6 YARDS!!!!

Well Done!!!

Isn't that great being THAT close to game? It's all about your self disapline at that range. So much as breath and you hunt is over.

Congradulations!

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Madgoat!!!

You're right...there is nothhng quite like bow hunting to get your heart pumping and put smile on your face!!

Congratulations!!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

~Ann

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Man, I've taken a pile of deer and I still get pumped and shaken when I take a doe w/ my bow.

Those ole' doe can be pretty sly. More so than a buck many times.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! You're hooked now. I've taken hundreds of animals with a rifle or pistol, but I don't get a thrill anymore if it's not done up close and personal.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!Welcome to the club!You done good! thumb beer clap wave

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the wondefull world of bowhunting! Now you know why we hunt with bows.
Six yards!!?? Nice! Dont you love it when a plan comes together!
Its not the about the kill, its about the hunt!
Congratulations!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch!! It was one of those moments I'll remember until my last breath. I had three great days of hunting until this opportunity presented itself...and I still have another buck and doe tag to fill. I can't get after it again until November, but I can hardly wait! I just wish I would have started bowhunting sooner!

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, I remember my first, but i guess we all do. Nothing quite as gratifying as taking a wily whitetail with a bow. Good job.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Congrats. You could have taken her with a SPEAR at six yards!! Wink Your hooked for sure now.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great job! A doe is a whole lot harder to shoot then a buck, once in range of course. She has young to take care of most of the year and nothing gets past her. She never lets down her guard even after the fawns are grown. Any sound or motion and she is gone, no hesitation.
Six yards proves you are good and can be proud of your shot. So I can say "welcome" to a good hunter!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
That is awesome. You are forever changed now you will be stuck chasing them around forever with a stick, string and some arrows. Gives a new meaning to the word hunting. I have more fun I think when I cant get a shot bowhunting then I do taking one down with a rifle.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Madgoat, nice going. As others have said taking a doe, especially at really close range is a tough gig. Good Hunting I remember my first bowkill-- with a recurve, I had practiced til my fingers were like car tires, and I finally got a shot I could make at about 13-15 yards at an old doe. Was and is a trophy to me! I know your hooked now!

Congratulations--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I just now saw this post. Great job!

The thrill never leaves you.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote