THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Re: What's your favorite broadhead and why?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What's your favorite broadhead and why?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Great. That is a primary bhead for me to use. I can get a new 6 pack here at Bass Pro for 29.99, and one of the local archery shops for 27.99/6.

Let me know when you can. You can post here or PM.

Regards,

Doc

one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I went from Muzzy's to the Steelforce. I noticed a significant improvement in consistancy with that change. I liked the Muzzy's for their practice blades but I have had much better results using the Steelforce.

I'm leaving on an elk hunt Sept. 15th. When I was looking for a guide for the hunt, several of them mentioned bad experiences with Steelforce bending tips on elk. I spoke with my local Pro Shop and he has had reports locally of Steelforce bending on whitetail !!!! Personally, I'll be using Slicktricks on this hunt if they come in on time. If not I'll be using NAP Nitrons. I figure if they can pass through 1/4" plywood and both sides of a steel drum without damage, they should be good on elk!! Check this link:
http://www.broadheadtests.com/NEWHEADS.html

bowhuntrrl

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,

If you are looking for a fixed Broadhead have you ever tried the Innerloc by Sullivan Industries? I have tried most all the well knowen ones and thses things are great. I have never had a fixed broadhead spin so smooth as these do. They are super tough also. The company is faily new and the heads are reasonably priced compared to the well knowen names. I have used them on Carbon and aluminum shaft with great success.

one of us
posted Hide Post
LandShark, enough said!!!!!!!!!!

Arrowhead with an Attitude

Posts: 11761 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And why Land shark dude?

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I use Rocky mountain premier broadheads, 100 grain. They seem to shoot quite well from my bow so I think I'll use them another season or two, unless I switch arrows and find they don't work well with the new shafts. As was mentioned earlier by someone else, I used to use Satellite titans but lost a few of them so had to get something else.

For whitetail, which are the only animal I've ever taken with a bow, I do not think broadhead is as critical as it needs to be for the bigger N American or African animals and most anything from 90 grains and up seems to work reliably. Last fall I posted a pic of a deer my brother had shot that had an expanding broadhead stuck into its neck, so I'm never going to recommend mechanical heads, but otherwise I think most anything that is sharp and goes where you aim it works just fine on deer. Heck, about 9 years ago I left my broadheads at home and bought some "hunters choice" or similar brand and had to use those after a quick sighting in.

The brother with the deer pic uses Muzzys and has no complaints, Good chance I'll get those whenever I decide for a change.

Fred Bear recommended a sharp 2 bladed broadhead for heavy animals, and I'll listen to his advice should I ever get the urge to hunt something big. However, those landsharks I just looked at seem to me they would be rather difficult to sharpen on a flat stone so I would pick something with more traditional straight edges. I'm sure the curved cutting edges have been tried a time or two in the last 1200 years and if they offered any advantage they would have been popular in the middle ages as well.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of young_ph
posted Hide Post
Thunderhead 125 2-blade, because they penetrate really good, even on big stuff like eland and blue wildebeest.
I don't like the muzzy's because we had one blade bend and another break on a quartering away-shot on a sable with a Mathews Black Max 2, so I'll stick to the Thunderheads.

Posts: 85 | Location: Limpopo, RSA | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote