THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Carbon shafts from Bass Pro Shops

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carbon shafts from Bass Pro Shops
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am pretty new to bowhunting, got my bow bout 3 years ago, a PSe nova. Am thinking about going to carbon shafts to increase speed. A friend recently bought a set from Bas Pro Shop and they were priced at around $40.00 per dozen,with fletching, nocks, and inserts. I talked to a local bow shop employee whose shafts run around $70.00 a dozen and he told me the BPS carbons are junk and I could get hurt using them, saying they could shatter as I released them, and I needed his brand of shafts to be safe. It sounded like high pressure sales pitch to me but was wondering if anyone has had a bad exp[erience with BPS carbon shafts recently. Thanks for the help,

Good luck and good shooting,

Eterry

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
There are certianly various levels of quaility but, you are correct the "expert" at you proshop is just tring to make a sale.

I'm not a BPS customer, however, they wouldn't have thier market share by selling dangerous products.

Better carbons Ie. strenght,straightnes & consistancy will cost you more. That is offset by duriblity & increesed accuaratcy.

My current choice is Carbon express. The arrows in the pic are Arrow Dynamics Trad Heavys, they are a tapered carbon shaft.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip Boss, I will probably try the BPS ones for a start and go from there. The "Expert" went on to say that the kind he uses in his personal bow run around $90.00 a dozen. I lose/break to many arrows to pay that kind of money. My thinking of changing to carbon is based on last season's experience. I had a nice fat doe walk up to my stand and hang up around 30 yards away. I had already drawn and was waiting on her getting closer, it was the first deer I shot at with a bow. She didnt, and I finally let fly, but used the 20 yrd pin, as that was the distance to my feeder from my stand. To many things going on I guess. Arrow went right under her chest and off she went. I know I messed up the shot, but my logic is if I can shoot a faster arrow maybe I can use one pin out to 30 yards. Thats my plan, think it will work ??
BTW, nice kudu in your pic, where did you get it ??

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've been bowhunting for 15 yrs now. I used to shoot aluminums. Went to Gold Tip arrows about 4 yrs ago...very happy. I used to work in an archery and gun store in Tucson and learned quite a bit.

I shoot Carbon Express with my crossbow.

I do NOT recommend the carbons from Bass PRo that you mentioned. I paid $65 for a dozen shafts of Gold Tips and a dollar each to fletch in 4" white vanes.

doc.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you just got a bit excited and aimed a bit low. I simple run of thumb is aim a bit higher when shooting down out a treestand, and shoot a little lower when shooting up out a pit blind.

I don't consider the change to carbons for speed a factor in hunting shot range 20yds. + or -. man has kill animals for ions with wood arrows that were far from straight. However, t6he carbons will recover and straighten out much quicker than aluminum. There in lies your bennifit. Also, if you glance a carbon off a tree it will MOSTLY likely be shootable vs. aluminum.

Good stuff costs just a fact of life. The Arrow dynamics rum around $100 a doz, The carbon express are more. One thing is you'll start putting more thought into each shot at those prices.

I'd suggest you buy a 1/2 doz. and try them.

Thanks, I took that Kudu in '01 in Mesina, Republic of South Africa. I used a 600gr. that had a steelforce 185gr, broadhead, out of that 70# recurve. He went exactly 58 paces and dropped in his tracks. I've got him in a shoulder mount in the stairway/hall.

I hope to go to Zim. or Moz. next year 05.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I've never used those shafts. I'm a fan of Easton A/C/C's and "they ain't cheap". I have hunted with Gold Tip's shafts for the past two seasons with good results. I've killed 6 deer with one shaft, but you can do the same with aluminum if you don't smack a rock after pass-through. I use the A/C/C's for competition because they are straight and consistent. The Gold Tips when placed on a good scale have much more weight variance than my A/C/C's. You pay for straightness and tolerances.

Carbons will probably not cure your 0-30 with one pin blues unless you are currently shooting a really heavy shaft. Keep kinetic energy in mind. If you are shooting light to medium draw weight and you switch to a really light carbon shaft, you may not be happy with penetration. I shoot a Hoyt Ultra Tech set at 70 lbs., Gold Tip Shafts with 90 grain heads and 4" feather fletching. I too wanted 0-30. I achieved it by using a Savage pendulum sight and hunting at least 20-25 feet high. The thing works like a miracle and I only have one pin in my sight picture.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote