THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    big boar long bow kill-picture

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

big boar long bow kill-picture
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

I will let my Bud tell the Story. He hunts his ranch virtually daily.

Today was picture perfect weather and I was very happy to be able to spend this evening in the woods.

About 45 minutes before dark I crawled up in a live oak and made myself comfortable. Thirty minutes later I saw a pair of 8 point bucks cruise by. I had seen them both earlier and passed them. Seemed like the thing to do again!

They hadn't been gone too long when I saw this import looking pig coming my way. I slowly reached over and pulled the Sparrowhawk off the peg I had it hanging on. If he gave me a chance this pig was NOT going to get the same pass the deer had. It looked like he was going to be broadside at about 15 yards but as he got to one of my shooting
lanes he was angling away slightly which I thought was perfect. I was already focused on the spot I wanted to hit and not long after hitting my anchor the arrow was away.
This old male was pretty tough and I only got about 18 inches of penetration but it hit exactly where I was looking. He squealed and took off but he was running slowly; obviously running out of gas almost immediately. He managed to make a 40 yard dash and went down in sight..
I was using a Zwickey No Mercy on the end of a Beman 500. The Sparrowhawk is 45 @ 28 and I draw 29 and a bit..

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
man thats a big hog!! congrats on a real nice longbow kill. any idea how much he weighed?

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nice hog and with a long bow to im hoping to shoot a few with my long bow soon if i can manage to get down to texas have alot of work to do very soon.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Great hog, and 18" is good penetration on a boar like that.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great hog, and shooting less than 50# puts some perspective on it.

posted Hide Post
Nice boar and a great shot!

rudyc

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
his bow is 45#@28" his draw is over 29 so defintly he will be over 50# easy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I usually figure 3-5 pounds per extra inch of draw, never saw that much increase but I aint gonna argue over an inch one way or another...my wife doesn't either Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Say, I just realized: I used to live in Cash, Tx, which is between Poetry and Greenville.

Seeing that hog makes me wish I was still down there. Not many hogs in Colorado.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might not have the hogs in Colorado Don but I have hunted some great Mule-deer near Denver. At least they were great in my book.

Fritz Rabe
Askari Adventures & Fritz Rabe Bow-hunting

Posts: 217 | Location: Musina South Africa | Registered: 08 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you want awsome mule deer well then youll have to come on up to alberta/bc we got huge tank muly's exp in alberta man do they get big the extreame cold makes them put on massive pounds and the food is rich up here as well so antler growth is exceptional.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don G. One of my BR buddies lives in a Cash address and has lived in the Greenville area for 70yrs. Jay Lynn is a renowned leather stamping tool maker. His stamping tools are very well known.
If you are ever in the area look me up.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:
his bow is 45#@28" his draw is over 29" with the way a bow stacks and his draw weight itll be around 52-53 pounds

Stacking is caused by too short of a bow for draw length. Even though the bow length is not mentioned a long bow is normally 60" plus. Mine is 66" 62lbs at 31 in, my draw length. No stacking.

I doubt very much there was any stacking problems with the bow pictured.

Aaron

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
your right man stacking was the wrong term to use my apologies basicly just was trying to state he was over the 28"draw and thee for was pulling 5-7# more

i have a a relativly short draw at27" right on the button my long bow is 62" long

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:
you want awsome mule deer well then youll have to come on up to alberta/bc we got huge tank muly's exp in alberta man do they get big the extreame cold makes them put on massive pounds and the food is rich up here as well so antler growth is exceptional.

Never been to Alberta but I hunted in Ontario for Turkey, White-tail and Wolf and it was one of the greatest hunts I've ever done. All with my bow. The best of it all was the fishing. We in Afrika have the hunting. You guys have the fishing and that is unfair. The two goes together. archer fishing

Fritz Rabe

Posts: 217 | Location: Musina South Africa | Registered: 08 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fritz,
That is why I have a fishing pond at our house.
My Granddaughter with a Hybrid Bluegill

My Grandson with Hybrid Bluegill.

We also have bass.

It is nice to be able to walk 50yds and start fishing. We do need rain though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To butchlambert:
I am positive that I do not like you and yes, jealousy makes me nasty.
You should be ashamed at putting candy in front of a child and telling him that he can not eat it. Those pics are the candy.
Mad

Fritz Rabe

one of us
posted Hide Post
ontario has some great fishing and hunting but alberta and bc will easly top it for instance in ontario the adverage sighting for deer is 8-12 animals a day in alberta exp if im covering ground i can easly seen 100+ der a day i was hunting the hinton area at the base of the rocky moutains and in 3 days i saw 200 deer 30-40 elk 4 moose 2 black bears and 1 huge pile of grizzly shit

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
shocker Thats not a Hog it's a PIG!!! shocker

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote