THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    using the moon to hunt by does it real work?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

using the moon to hunt by does it real work?
 Login/Join

<TM>
posted
I hunt by the moon chart and it works for me. Who else hunt using this method for success?

[ 12-29-2002, 16:33: Message edited by: TM ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I try to hunt all day long if at all possible. Sometimes I get down and go to camp for lunch. Sometimes I take lunch with me. That usually takes care of all the moon phases and activity charts.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
TM,
I havn't gone hunting with the moon phase/time table in mind, but have noticed several times when looking at the lunar time table after a hunt that I did see deer at the times on the chart. Coincidence?

Posts: 10 | Location: Hendersonville, TN | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
<TM>
posted
I have over a number of years log the time, number of deer or animals I have seen during the moon cycle of the last 1/3th of the moon leading up to the the dark of the moon and the first 1/3th of the moon after the dark. I real starting doing this when I moved to South Carolina because of the type of hunting style that is done here. An old South Carolina hunter educate me on this. I see more deer and haverst more deer during that cycle. When I was out west hunting in New Mexico and Northern California I would hunt all day Like Walker stated in his reply. You have more area to roam, so your chances of see a muley or black tail would happen. In South Carolina your hunting area is confine to select area and tree stand or ground blind hunting is done. However,where every you hunt the moon clock will increase your success rate. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] Also, I have found that the whitetail is a much smarter deer that the mule and black tail. They use the brain with all there senses. [Big Grin]

[ 11-04-2002, 19:34: Message edited by: TM ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I"m in N.W. Montana, so hunting depends on moisture. If its' raining or snowing, it's good hunting. Moon phase is something most of us don't have the luxury in being concerned with here. Starving times means you hunt when you can.

I have found that during the rut, my best times for hunting is from 10:00A.m. to 2:00 P.M. The deer rut is just starting here, and today, I saw 18 deer, one REAL nice buck, four elk, half dozen turkey thereabouts, and a couple grouse. All in the same time period.

I think too many concentrate on early morning and evnng hunting too much. If you want a big buck, be where you are hunting when others are in camp for lunch.

Pretty much all the game on the page below have been taken in the mid day hours.

http://www.geocities.com/ric_carter59932/Rics_hunting_page.html?1008485459860

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of you traditional bow hunters who know who he is, but don't know what he looks like, on the page above is a couple pics of Barry Wensel. He's the guy on the right in front of the wall tent with the game hanging, and also in the one holding the the long bow in front of the nice buck. He's a hoot!

If you don't know who he is, check your local video store, or bow magazine for his tapes from here and in Africa.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote