New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whisper Biscuit My Hinny!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hate the Whisper Biscuit rest. I have been out of bowhunting for several years and just recently got back into it. Bought a new Bowtech Patriot with all the fixin's. I also bought the biscuit rest. After a thorough tuning, I was shooting 5 or 6 inch groups at 25 yards on my first outing. I used to do that at 40 yards. I attributed this to being rusty and having not shot in such a long time. But it never improved. I went back to the gentleman at Sportsman's Warehouse where I purchased this attrocity and he said that is about the best you can expect. If you want pinpoint accuracy, get a drop away rest. I should have known. How can a rest the lets the fleching hit, even a little, be accurate. Well I am changing over. I used to shoot the TM Hunter and that was great, but this new drop away technology is cool. I am a convert. Anybody need a left hand whisper bisquit cheap.

Never allow the perfect to be the enemy of the necessary.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
Glad to read your post. I was actually looking at getting a whisker biscuit for my next setup, but not now. I used to bowhunt religiously, then didn't have anywhere to go, etc etc. Now I just need to get another bow, but can't afford one yet. Spent all that money on reloading stuff. nut One of these days...

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I like the QAD UltraRest.

Quiet, dependable, keeps the arrow captured from the time you knock it, until you shoot it. Even through a slow let-down.

( Comes in left hand models for all you cack-handers. )

http://www.qadinc.com

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
AlanC,

I've been a firm believer in the biscuit the last few years but, that all came to an end when I purchased my new bow this spring, a Patriot also. I almost pulled my hair out trying to tune this dang bow, I shot and shot and shot through paper and coul not get this thing to tune (Not my first Rodeo either). finally after I had ruined almost all of my fletching, I went and got the NAP drop away. Ever since installing the DA this baby has been shooting bullet holes in paper and grouping much better.

I came to the conclusion that the WB and high speed bows just don't mix. I've had great luck w/ the WB on slower set-ups.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing wrong with a WB, even on a "speed" bow. If you're ripping your fletching off and getting wide groups, your either underspined, have the WB cocked forward or backward, or your nocking point is too high.
Your nocking point needs to be right around 90 degrees with the WB and not slightly high like most manufacturers suggest. When the string stretches after break-in, you need to adjust.

I'd take the word of Bosephus at Sportsman's Warehouse with a big grain of salt.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree! I find the most accurate is the Trapdoor but you have to be careful to not drop the arrow off. I have the Ultra rest on another bow and it is great, but not quite as accurate as the Trapdoor. I use this one when I stalk so I don't have to worry about dropping off the arrow or the rest falling from a bump.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The Whisker Biscuit is by far one of the very best rests made. The are very accurate, quiet and will not drop an arrow.

If you had problems with your WB, it is because it was not set up correctly.

Get with the best or die like the rest

Posts: 8 | Location: GA | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Yip, Alan, like others, I figure it's not the WB's problem. I figure you may have a "loose nut" holding the bow. Smiler
Just kidding!!!
I use Muzzy Zerro Effects at this time and love them. I did have, and will again real soon, have a WB on my Mathews Conquest shooting fingers. GREAT rest for hunting!
I figure, like others have stated, your arrow spine was the problem.

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You fellas can say all you want to about the bows not being tuned, I can assure I've tuned my fair share of bows and it's quite simple.

The WB is a Good rest but it just doesn't work w/ some set-ups. I even tried going to a heavier spined arrow and it wouldn't tune real great until speed got really low. If I wanted a slow bow, I wouldn't have bought a new one. at speeds in the 300 fps range the WB will not tune on SOME bows and can reak havoc on fletching not so much as ripping them but, rippling them after very few shots which leads to inaccuracy and loud noise while in flight.

The Drop-aways are the way to go w/ super fast set-ups.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not a newbee to archery. As I mentioned at the start of this thread, my bow was tuned and my arrows were properly spined for my bow. The Biscuit is fine for hunting in the 20-25 yard range. If your goal is to hit a paper plate at that range, you will be happy with the bisquit. But I am saying that when I shot my TM Hunter (launcher rest) I could hit a quarter at 20 yards. I had to refrain from shooting groups because I was damaging my arrows or flechings. Now I can not shoot groups worth a darn. Explain how an arrow can hit the rest and remain pinpoint accurate. To me it's like aiming at a deer and hitting a small sampling before impact. For those of you that have used the launcher or any rest. Wasn't it a goal during the tuning process to make sure you had no fletching contact? The biscuit guarantees fletching contact.

Never allow the perfect to be the enemy of the necessary.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Explain how an arrow can hit the rest and remain pinpoint accurate.

This is easily explained if you consider the role of the type of rest the Whisker Biscuit is:

1. Holds arrow,
2. Guides arrow on release,
3. Dampens arrow "vibrations/paradox" as arrow passes over/through rest.

I respectfully disagree with the inaccuracy statement. Even though the fletches do contact the rest, they do so evenly and AT THE REAR OF THE ARROW. This is important. Think of the heavy tip/broadhead (front of arrow is heavier than rear - F.O.C. measurements) during the inital launch - then, as the fletches contact the rest the arrow is ever so slightly slowed from the rear. This will allow the arrow to "straighten" on a true path as the momentum of the arrow is "pulled" by the heavy front.

Say what you want, but both of my bows and plenty of others I've seen will shoot under 3" at 40 yds with the Whisker. While this rest may not be what tournament shooters prefer, it's design is for the field. I will agree that there may be some setups or shooters that may never be able to get it to work for them.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just set up a WB on my PSE mach. With minimal difficulty, it is a perfect paper tear and I would expect to hit a quarter @20yds. The fletching will get loose after several shots if an extra bead of glue is not added to the leading edge. A hassel, but I can live with it for hunting use.

MFH

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Not trying to insult your intelegence but are you sure you aren't using the aluminum size biscut with carbon arrows? I did that when I first got the biscut. When I got the smaller carbon one I shot a lot better.

I shoot a Hoyt Pro Mag and I get 3 inch groups consistantly at 30 yards. I agree that a fall away rest is more accurate but I care more about making a shot quietly without an arrow falling off my rest. I liken it to the choice of still hunting with either a bench rest 25-06 weighing 15 pounds that can shoot 1.5 inch group at 300 yards OR a 7 pound 30-06 that shoots 2 inches at 100 yards. CLEARLY the bench rest rifle is more accurate but do all the other disadvantages outweigh the extra accuracy that you don't need?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be bad Ju Ju.....Biskets work GREAT for me and I'm sorry you are having problems, but don't try to take mine away!!

I'm now shooting about 24 arrows every day thru a bisket. On a good day I can hit every tennis ball I shoot at and I think some of the credit belongs to the bisket. I get totally consistant release thru the bisket and it works at 10 - 30 yds. It'll soon be dove season with the bow (on the ground of course) Biskets RULE!!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I'm using a Bisquit on my Bowtech with a 283 fps hunting setup. No problems at all out to 60 yards!! ONe thing, with bisquits, you need to use a sturdy vane. I use Bohning vanes, but there are a few other "bisquit" capable vanes.I tried drop aways, as far as I'm concerned, they suck !!! One more thing to go wrong with your bow at the wrong moment. That doesn't really come into play on the 3D range, but it sure as hell does when hunting !!! I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S philosophy. I would look to other factors as the cause of your problems. Also, contrary to what Honkey stated above, a bigger hole is better with a Bisquit, at least that's what the inventor of it told me at Carolina Archery Products !! If the arrow is too tight in the hole, it will cause problems. I use the large aluminum bisquit with small diameter carbon arrows. Many shooters have actually told me that they tightened up their groups by changing to a WB.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I certainly agree w/ ya'll that its a good rest. When I was shooting a Pearson that was shooting around 270 fps, it was THE rest to have. Certainly saved me in some "Buck Fever" moments.

It just will not work on the Bowtech I have, I tried for days paper tuning and couldn't get consistent tears until I backed the bow way off but, then speeds were slow. I switched to a Drop-Away and this baby shoots bullet holes through paper even if you max out the limbs and groups sucked in really tight at 20 to 30 yards.

On the Drop-Aways aren't good for hunting note, the NAP that I bought has very large prongs that stick up far above the arrow shaft. If this rest wouldn't hold your arrows in a hunting situation, You have far more problems than your rest.

Reloader

posted Hide Post
I'm shooting a Mathews Switchback at around 295-300 fps. The WB is just as accurate as any other rest on the market. I can consistently bust nocks, if I choose, all the way to 50 yards.

Try Bohning Blazers with the WB and you will not see any tearing or rippling on the vanes. Also add a drop of SuperGlue to the leading edge of the vane.

Get with the best or die like the rest

Posts: 8 | Location: GA | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of you are right! What we have run into here is that everyone shoots different. Rests that work for some, just will not work for others. Same as some bows will not shoot good for some and everyone needs a different arrow. It is just the nature of archery in that it is a very personal thing and what works for some will not work for others. Thank God we have a choice of so many products today, unlike when I started archery.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Love the WB. It was very easy to tune, and I find my shooting to be more consistant.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to a couple friends today who also use biskets and they both said if there is a problem it may be their grip at release...trying to "choke the chicken" and not getting a smooth release.

I don't mean to start a fight here, just an observation from a couple friends. I know my oldest son had a "death grip" on the bow for years and one day the light bulb came on...now he grips lightly and shoots a lot better.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ARhunter42019
posted Hide Post
Ok. I'm shooting a Buckmasters Pro package bow, it came with a whisker biscuit arrow rest. and a set of plastic (shudders) fiber optic sights... a week after getting the bow, i was out shooting groups for practice.. and i robinhooded an arrow at 10yds.. and i can't even begin to tell you how many fletches i have shredded while shooting groups up to about 30yds.. but, i changed to some copper john sights and my accuracy has improved since then as well. wb works fine for me, but some people may have a differing opinion. Great country we live in that we can make so many choices like this ain't it?

The chainsaw says: Run Kit Kitt Kitty

Posts: 84 | Location: Cat Hell, where cats suffer | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I've used a WB for years and have had great success hunting with it.

~Ann

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I've used a WB for years and have had great success hunting with it.

...as recent developments have proven!!!!!

Way to go, Ann! thumb

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When WB's first came out, my father bought one and the first deer he drew on heard the arrow slide through the rest. He was using carbon arrows that I guess were too rough to slide quietly. Has the WB design changed or have the arrows changed so that game doesn't hear you draw the bow?

Posts: 109 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
This is one of the animals Don G is refering to:

I'll be posting a couple more soon. Anyway, I use the biscuit designed for aluminum arrows even though I shoot carbons. The arrow I use, Easton's red Line, has a glassy surface and are quieter than some other makes. The larger diameter biscuit works best in my opinion. I have zero accuracy problems at the range I shoot.

That kudu was taken at 20 yards. He never heard me draw. I was sitting in a grass thatch hide so very minimal, if any sound dampening.

I try to shoot at game less than 30 yards.

~Ann

Posts: 19171 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
I never get tired of looking at that guy, Ann. He's so old he's lost condition - the very best time to take out the 'king".

Those 60" horns are just amazing!

Don_G

one of us
posted Hide Post
As Ann said some carbons are quieter than others. I have some arrows with the Buff-Tuff finish that are loud as hell on the Whisker Biscuit, and 2117's are loud as well. I quit using aluminums in the Whisker Biscuit because of the noise. After changing to slick carbons, it is quiet and deadly.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My bow came with a Whisker Biscuit, only I didn't know that was what y'all were talking about till recently. One thing you want to make sure (and I won't disclose how I know this Wink) is that you push the arrow THROUGH the opening, and not just put the arrow ON the "whiskers" in the opening. Can't comment on accuracy, I'm sure my shooting is still poorer than any influence the rest may have.

On the subject of K.I.S.S.... the bow also came with a cable slide with a string stopper integrally attached to it. Last night when I was practicing, CRACK, the whole thing broke off, leaving me with a disfunctional bow! Imagine this happening after having hiked in a full day, or after having flown several charters to get to some remote area. I bought a cable slide (hope that is the right word) without the stopper instead.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting a WB for several years now and initially had trouble with it ruining fletchings, never with accuracy. I modified my WB by "thinning" the whiskers on the back side (fletching side) where the fletchings pass thru the bisket. No more torn fletchings. BTW, I have shot aluminums AND carbons through the aluminum-sized bisquit. No difference....

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I trashed a $65 micro adjustable rest to install a dinky $17 WB. Wish I'd done it years ago. Might be more accurate, and I have LESS fletching damage with it.

"He who has it, would do well to have it as if he did not have it."

http://www.Savage24.com

.45 Throats for Pete's sake. http://www.cylindersmith.com

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote