New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll - Hiding your Face.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hope I don't wear you all out asking all these questions. I know they are at a very Rookie level for most of you all, but I really don't know what is considered to be the Best.

I've used a Facemask while Rifle/Revolver Hunting for so long(maybe 40yrs) that I do not even remember when I began using it. I do know that I picked up on using them in a "Bow Hunting" article. Got two and gave one to my best Hunting buddy. Our actual Deer sightings went up so drastically that we sure felt bad about not using them sooner.

I get a few local Hunting/Fishing shows(no cable) and I've noticed some of them DO NOT use anything to hide their Faces.

Question:
What do you use to "mask" your Face?

Choices:
1. Nothing at all.
2. Face Mask. Light weight summer, heavy winter.
3. Camo grease face paint.
4. Southern Camo(mud to knock off the shine).
5. Other

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless I'm hunting from a ground blind, I'm wearing my camo face mask. It doesn't matter whether I'm hunting with my bow, rifle, handgun or muzzleloader, I'm wearing a face mask.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lightweight--hasn't been cold enough (central Tx) to need a heavyweight one yet.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
None at all....heck I don't even wear full camo. I do all of my hunting from 20 ft+ up a tree.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lightweight, even in WI one winter at temps in single digits... exhaled breath kept my face completely warm.

Nothing in the woods looks like a big round "white thing". And if you think deer don't look up, watch a few hunting shows!

Cover your face; it makes all the difference in the world.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shof:
Unless I'm hunting from a ground blind, I'm wearing my camo face mask. ...
Hey Shof, Why don't you wear one in a Ground Blind? Is it dark enough to completely hide you?
-----

Hey Ted, That Beard does provide some concealment, but I'd feel something was bad wrong if I didn't have mine on.

By the way, you all probably know this, but as the Camo "Fades" due to washing, the Whiter the Mask or Hunting outfit becomes. Never really thought that could be an advantage, but I see where it would be for you all that Hunt in the Snow like Doubless.

I spotted something "White" in a Stand we call the Boat Seat from waaaay across a field, long ago. Couldn't even tell what it was in the 10x50s, but I knew it was White. Figured it might be a Plastic Sack that somehow got blown into the tree.

Mentioned it to my buddy John at dinner and he said he had been "sitting in the Boat Seat Stand". After a bit of discussion, we realized his Camo Face Mask had Faded to the point that it was pretty much White.

We got that corrected in about 20min.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the ground blind I have is fairly large, so I can sit at the back wall and shoot my bow through the windows without my face being shown. I know this because I've video'd the blind and it's hard to see me in there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like my face masks, if I get deadly serious I'll use face paint and the mask. I usually wear the mask backwards rather than looking out hole they leave for your face.

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I use a light weight one, it's the same one I use for turkey hunting. I don't really think it makes a big difference deer hunting from 20+ feet up a tree, but it keeps the dang no-see-ums and skeeters out of my ears during the early hot weather part of the GA season.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Face paint/make-up. No loss of perif. vision and we do a lot of spot and stalk. The face mask gets caught up in the brush.

Perry

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Shof, There are a couple of "local" TV Shows which use a Pop-Up Ground Blind a lot. I noticed they didn't have a Face Mask on too. Plus Tim at the Gun/Bow Shop recommends one. Thanks.

Hey Chief, I got you about the Backward Face Mask. I'll try that for sure. I always pulled it up so I was just looking over the edge of the eye-hole and then pulled the Brim down low on my Boonie hat. But, Backwards would be an enhancement over what I'm doing as long as there is enough light to see through it. Thanks.

Hey Adam, Man-O-Man, you nailed it about the Skeeters. What a HUGE difference the Mask makes.

Hey Perry, I see you and the Chief both use some Face paint. I did too in the CORPS and just haven't done it since I've been wearing the Face Masks. I'll need to give that some more thought. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
Another thing to think of, is even if you cover your face, and remain completely still, your eyes are still big white flags that will keep moving no matter what you do. Course, it's not really a problem for those of you that turn your mask around.

Speaking of concealment, any of you remember that hide a draw contraption from years ago? What a piece of crap. That pop-up blind that attaches to your bow and pops up as you draw. All it did was create even more motion to give you away, and get caught up in the branches. I never had one, but knew some who did. They threw them away after one or two hunts.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing at all works for me these days, although when I started bowhunting I tried a few different things and didn't like them. However, if I am hunting down in the desert country where the flies are most friendly, I will wear a mosquito net to keep them off. I seem to be able to still shoot my longbows and recurves with a mozzie net on.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF I could grow a decent beard, that would solve my problem. But alas, I cannot so
I like a face masks, if it is too warm, I use nothing.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mesh 3/4 mask hot or cold, bow & gun - I wear glasses, & the cold weather fabric masks fog up my glasses.

Posts: 171 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 13 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ever caught a face mask in a string??? Me either.. camo paint is the only way to go. I've got VERY close to elk wearing nothing on my face. I even had a bright orange stil label on my base ball cap..I've worn every design of camo there is. Which brings me to believe elk are color blind. Cammo does not really matter if you're immage is (broken) They will not see you. Elk and deer can smell!! With the products we have today,They dont smell me!!But any reflection or glare off of ANYTHING will spook them. I wear glasses. all I can do is not look directly at them. sometimes it works sometimes they win.A face mask is worthless crap to carry!!

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've killed probably a dozen deer and one bull elk wearing a face mask and have never caught it on my bow string. I think it's just a matter of shooting style/form and personal preference.

posted Hide Post
I like to use Span-do-flage. I'm sure the spelling is wrong!! Same weight all year round, deer, turkey and duck hunting.

rudyc

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Full beard only.

Posts: 59 | Location: villa rica, ga | Registered: 24 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear a face mask,,and always a hat, I have a few with facemask/hat combo that work well. My hair is very shiny silver, so is my facial hair. I literally glow in the dark it is so silver/white. I stick out like a sore thumb without the mask/hat combo,, even in a pit blind. Wear the camo! In a pit blind I wear very dark colors as well. In Africa in a pit blind I wear black shirts and hats, mask etc. Here in north America in a tree I wear whatever camo that correspondes to the terrain I will be in.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
Ballcap with real light mesh mask. Drop it down or stuff it in the hat. It's just thick enough to break up the glare from my face.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a suitably coloured 'Buff' neck tube when hunting for deer.

Can be shucked down around your neck in a second, doesn't catch, rustle & keeps bugs off your neck, face & ears.

My reasoning is simple, if that deer spends a couple more seconds trying to figure out what it is looking at - that will be enough for me to get a shot down-range! Wink

Rgds

Ian Smiler

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is amazing how far away one can see a uncovered face. I aways wear a face mask of some kind.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I never fully understood the whole scent-lock, expensive camo deal. I guess in some areas it might be warranted but for me I use the Wal-Mart special camo with NO Face Mask and have been able to consistently get within 20 yrds or less without spooking the deer. I pay more attention to my movements and where the wind is blowing my scent.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
A bit o grease under the eyes for me. I feel a little silly though, because then I think about guys like Howard Hill, Fred Bear and Fred Azbel. Sheesh!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16373 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote