THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Hunting Day Pack Modifications

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Day Pack Modifications
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted
Hunting Pack – Quiver – Canteen
Some ideas you might find useful…

Quite a few years ago I bought a hunting day pack from Cabelas.
I didn’t like the shoulder straps and waist belt that came on the pack so I modified the shoulder straps and waist belt from an Army Alice pack frame and mounted them to the pack.

My recurve bow quiver holds 4 arrows. Which is more than enough for deer hunting, and just the right weight, but if you’re out hog hunting or hunting for critters you might need more than 4 different arrows. I like to carry a couple of arrows with field points in front of Bateman adders, at least a couple of Judo/Shocker points, at least one FluFlu for shooting up in the air or at a squirrel in a tree, as well as a couple of regular broadheads. Too many arrows for a simple 4 arrow bow quiver. SO…

I had an old two-piece, 8 arrow bow quiver from an old recurve. I took the brackets off of the back and figured out a simple way to use a piece of leather slid behind one of the pack’s side pockets. I use a piece of that Velcro that has hooks on one side and loops on the other and run it through the leather and an attachment on the pack to hold the quiver in position on the pack.

For the last few years I have been involved in marathon canoe & kayak racing. We use 2-quart & 4-quart Igloo insulated water jugs with long tube straws in them to get our water while we’re paddling. And when I was in the infantry we used a 5-quart soft, collapsible, bladder type canteen to carry the larger volume of water we carried when we were on patrol. It fit in the inside pocket of an Army Alice pack. The water jugs with a tube straw gave me the idea to modify a bladder canteen with a hose straw to use for hiking and it got me to thinking about using it in my backpacks. It works great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You made some good improvements. Your pack looks better than thr original Cabelas.

Those bladder canteens come in handy. You never think you're going to be thirsty till you start exerting yourself. One time my husband wanted to take a short cut when we were bike riding. There was a bunch of downed trees we had to carry our bikes around and we kept thinking the path we were looking for was just ahead. It wasn't but it was harder to turn back than to keep going and we had to carry our bikes most of the way. For miles and miles. We ran out of water. So had to drink out of a creek; didn't hurt us, but you know darn good and well the animals pi$$ in the same creek they drink from. Always carry way more water than you think you need.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote