Find
Notify
Tools

Targets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys,

Mid last year I bought a target at the local "not so good" supplier of sporting goods stuff near here. The target was used heavily with field points and Muzzy practice blades during the late summer and fall. As I was "retired early" due to the takeover of the compnay I worked for, I could shoot every day.

I was rewarded by two nice deer in my first archery season. (Was a good year, 2 with a bow, and one with rifle, handgun, and muzzleloader.)

This year, the target has simply given up the ghost. Arrows from the 75# compound are very nearly passing through it. Hard on the vanes.

The only targets I can find around here now are the more expensive end of the spectrum ... things like the "block" at $65 each.

Any alternatives at a more reasonable price? Are these "Block" targets worth the money?

thanks,

mike

(BTW ... shat ever happened to using hay bales?)

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing went wrong with the hay bales it just is a little messy at times [Big Grin]
Have you tried adding some of the expanding spray foam to the center of your target?
Another option is to glue/spray paint a target spot in another area of your target.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For field points a cardboard box filled with rags or raw cotton works fine.

Broadheads are more demanding. Cheapest bh target is a pile of dirt but you must change to fresh heads to hunt.

I use a McKenzie Tuff Buck and resign myself to replacing the midsection each year.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a cheap field point target try 2 burlap sacks stuffed(really packed)with those small plastic bags like wal mart uses. Some dots of orange spray paint and your ready to shoot. A buddy of mine made one and it stops field points as well as the bags I paid $39.00 for.

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Broadheads chew up everything. I can go through a replaceable vital zone on one of those "tuff bucks" in less than two weeks. The Block targets are a little better, but they get no where near the "thousands" of shots they claim. I shoot broadheads mostly so I spend a good bit on targets every year.

All archery targets are overpriced; they soak you $20 for a shrink-wrapped chunk of styrofoam for christ's sake. I collect large pieces of packing styrofoam and bits of polystyrene when I find them. You can make a target using two pieces of allthread connecting two 2 X 4's take all of these odds and ends, press them onto the allthread, and sandwich everything together. It works, but your yard may look like a bean bag exploded if you don't clean up. Try not to hit the allthread either.

If anyone finds an alternative to the overpriced targets for broadheads let me know. This addiction is getting expensive.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Went ahead and bought one of the "bock" type targets and sighted-in and practiced some.

Payed off. First day of the season here I watched a 4 point for 20 minutes. Intended to leave him alone until I realized he was injured. Looked like his left rear knee was broken. So I put him down. About a 30 yard shot. Heard the impact. He trotted about 20 yards, then got very, very slow. Watched him lay down. Waited 30 minutes and walked right to him.

Turned out he had indeed broken the knee earlier ... a compound fracture. No wonder he was limping about. Bet he self destructed while running from dogs in the woods. Darned shame!

Oh well. Two bow deer left on the ticket yet, so the season is not lost yet. Going back out tomorrow to see if we can find something bigger.

Best of luck to you all!

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote