New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on speed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Mathews MQ-1 set at 70# shooting a 28" 2413 with 4" vanes and a 100 grn tip, I chrono'd at 241 fps. Now with an amo of 235 shouldn't it be somewhat faster? The arrow weighs 480grns, with basically a bare string, all that is on it is 2 string leeches and a peep, isn't that a little slow? I know if i went to carbons i would pick up some speed, but cost is a factor,and I have alot of 2413s already. Any thoughts?

Posts: 91 | Location: Milan Tenn. | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh
Just my opinion but here's an explanation:
AMO specs are 60lbs at 30" with a 540 grain arrow. When your setup differs you have to accomodate as follows:
1 fps per 5 gr arrow weight
2 fps per pound of draw weight
Throw these into it and you should be 267 fps or so.
Weigh the leeches, peep, extra serving material, brass nocks, eliminator button and treat that weight as extra arrow weight. You didn't state your draw length and that has a lot to do with it. I'm guessing with a 28" arrow your draw lenght may be 28.5 to 29 without an overdraw. If I remember correctly 1" of draw length equals about 10 fps or more.
So 267fps - 10 fps (draw lenght) = 257 fps
257 fps - 6fps (30 grains on string) = 251 fps
Now you're only 10 fps off of measured. Maybe you have a slow bow (like a slow barrel on a rifle), chonograph is off, bad lighting for chrono.
Also, a bow is most efficient at peak draw. I assume this to be a 70lb peak bow but it will probably go 75lb. It may not be as efficient at 70lb. If you had to twist or short string the bow to get the draw length that has a negative effect on efficiency.

If you're accurate and quiet at 241fps it shouldn't matter. Going to carbons will help in stiffness and durability but to keep the AMO warranty you need 6gr per lb. That's 420 grains and with the 60 grain difference you would gain maybe another 12fps. But you'll notice the noise too. Go to carbons for the durability which is nice when you're worm burnin' and killing rocks or stumps. I shoot them out of my recurve but weight them with tubes to get 490 gr. They last longer than aluminum.

Sorry to ramble on and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but that's my take.

Posts: 136 | Location: PA | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks scott, My draw length is 30", twisted a little to about 29.5. I guess there is nothing really wrong, i just thought that it should be faster. It shoots great and is dead quiet,I love it!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
for 3D, speed is important.

for bowhunting, quiet is important.

bowhunters are better off never knowing what fps they shoot.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

for 3D, speed is important.

for bowhunting, quiet is important.

bowhunters are better off never knowing what fps they shoot.

Well said bowman. I do look at speed but just so I do not go over 243fps. That being said I would suggest you shoot the speed that is most ( hunting ) accurate for you.

My four cents.
DOA

Posts: 21 | Location: South Eastern PA | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thank you sir but I do not understand the 243 speed limit.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the quiet being most important. Higher speeds with lighter arrows tend to be harder on equipment, in my opinion. My compound setup the last ten years has been 80lb at 29" with 28" 2317s and 125 Thunderheads. Speed about 265fps but quiet and reliable. Now I'm shooting a recurve. With a 490gr arrow I'm probably in the 190-200 range. Slow, quiet, and loads of fun.

I also do not understand the 243fps limit. Please explain. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree to a point, accuracy and noise are more important, but so is speed. I'm not a speed freak, who is obessed with speed, but knowing the speed of my bow, will help in making some shots. I will not typically shot more than 25-30yds at a deer, but if I had to, knowing that I had the speed and energy to do so would help. I am very happy with my set-up, I was just suprized at the speed, I felt that it should be faster.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Josh - It's very easy to be seduced by speed. It's pounded into you in every advertisement and magizine story. Most of us hunt under 30yrds. Speed just isn't as much a factor at those ranges like it is past 40yrds. My 60,70 & 85# recurves push 510, 595 and 725gr. arrows about 200fps. All shoot flat to 30yrds. And everything on the wall and in the freezer is just as dead as anything shot with a 243fps arrow.

Don't worry about the physics so much, remember it about having fun!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bowman and scott -
Although not documented as far as I know as fact, I have found that above 243fps the arrow with broad head get squirrelly . Most of the guys I hunt with use an arrow of about 500 grains and adjust them to shot between 205 and 245. I have found that after thousands of shots and hundreds of arrow shafts, veins, and cutters that 243 was the magic number. This accounts for round cams through hatchet cams. GOD its hard to type with one hand ! If you have seen BBTurtles deer he took down, he was using a PSE infinity shooting at 220fps with a 29 inch 2315 and 125muzzy. This deer was shot at 35yards and the arrow went through the body as well as through the opposite leg and stuck into a tree . Was this �fast� enough? At the same time A guy shoots expandable heads at 295FPS and says he needs this much for a "true pass through". This head lets you do this. I shoot 2315 with 125 muzzy and a 30inch shaft. This shoots at 237FPS and that�s where it likes it. My neighbor shoots a Mathews with carbon express and 100grain three blade. This bow is set at 219FPS and that is where it likes it. I would like you to try a high speed setup and then a low speed setup and see what grouping is better.
Got to go My hand is killing me .

DOA

Posts: 21 | Location: South Eastern PA | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have also heard that above the 250fps mark its more difficult to get fixed blade broadheads to fly correctly. I spend a lot of time making my hunting arrows. I mate the broadhead, insert, and shaft for life. Once I find the combination that spins correctly they stay together. If that shaft or broadhead gets damaged, I search til I find another good match or its relegated to practice only.

Boss Kongoni
That's what was beginning to be missed..........the fun. I picked up the recurve seriously the end of January. What a blast! Groups may not be as tight but its fun trying. Even busted a few nocks already. At this rate I'll be hunting with it this year.

posted Hide Post
Scott -
If you're not having fun then --- Why the hell are you out doing it
The only time I get to the point that it is not fun is when I am doing R & D

Recurve is a diferent animal and speed is a second thought
If you're a BIG guy you can pull these. The exception is one guy I know that is about 135lbs and can pull a 120lb longbow.

Look out for the chest thumpers and do what comes to you. HEY! I like to "crank it up" too. Maybe thats why my arm is F'ed up

DOA

one of us
posted Hide Post
DOA,

I had not considered the 'sonic boom' factor.

I'm shooting ACC 371s so I'm probably getting around 275 with my Parker at 72. I forget the exact arrow weight. Previously I was shooting around 285 with my Bear First Strike pulling 82.

I do have to tune these bows much more painstakingly than any bows I previously shot and perhaps the speed is why. As I posted before, I have fun shooting at long distances. To that end, speed is good but I rate quietness as more important.

My bow thumps when I let it. If I shoot light arrows it begins that WHACK sound and I hate that. Deer 'jumping the string' is nearly always caused by loud bows. I much prefer the deer to be confused more about the arrow sticking in the ground and totally unaware said arrow went thru them.

As per the 243fps turning point, personally I don't think I could be happy with that. Already I can't shoot beyond 100yds with my configuration and slower arrow speed would lessen even that as the pins always run into the arrow at some point.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found out why my bow is so slow. We put it on the scales and was only pulling 62#, bottomed out on 70# limbs.I e-mailed Mathews and the said that the cam roration my be out or the brace height is off. Now I have been out of archery for awhile, but how does the brace height change? And how can I tell if the cam rotation is out??