Find
Notify
Tools

Trail cam's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of prairiewolf
posted
I have never used a trail camera before and am thinking of getting one anyone know which one is better one to get . I would prefer digital over film type.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Posts: 144 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Cuddeback and like it a lot. You can find them in the Cabelas catalog.

Posts: 551 | Location: Woodbine, Ga | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Cuddleback is supposed to take high resolution, although the cabelas catalog doesn't specify any numbers. It also has a special sunnex lens, which they claim is superior to other digital camera lens. Be worth checking out.

I'm pretty happy with the Leaf River cam..... the one without the viewing screen. The really nice thing is, the camera cards will fit in my regular digital camera. So i take the regular camera up to the site. Take some test pictures with the trail cam, remove the card and view in my regular camera and that makes it easy to check that it is aimed and working correctly. Plus my regular camera will let you do magnifications of the image if you want to examine it closer.

Check Jessie's Hunting and Outdoors for either camera. The have the Leaf River in stock and they're 265, plus you get a 5.00 off coupon. They prob have best price on the Cuddleback, too.

You will love the digital trail camera. You'll see more deer than you could in a lifetime, and it gives you a chance learn what is in your hunting area.

Good luck,

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
I met a nice American guy on Ebay.
Vic ROSA
Adresse(s) v4rosa4@worldnet.att.net

he is taylor making nice trail cams with Olympus digital cams.
The price is cheaper than what we find of the shelf and his product is very very versatile.
A perfect bargain supported by a very capable guy assuming any advices and back-up.
Mail him before any purchase, it's worth trying

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Cuddeback is a 1.3 megapixel for $399. The Leaf River digitals are 2.1 megapixel and go for $265 for the DC-1 model and $299 for the DC-2 model with the LCD viewing screen. The DC-2s are on backorder everywhere due to the Chinese New Year and are supposed to be in sometime in March. We sold out of them over the holidays they are that popular.

Reviews of game cameras can be found here

http://www.jesseshunting.com/reviewpost/showcat.php/cat/226

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spectre, from the tone of your post, (saying "we") you must be with JHO. Perhaps you could answer a question.

Say a person wanted to use a trailcam to monitor snake dens. Would the infared sensing device detect the movement of a coldblooded reptile?

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nobody must not know about the rattlesnakes. bewildered

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who wants to see snakes?

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Plinker is the detector in that camera infrared, or purely motion. Even if the sensor is based on infrared, the snakes are likely to be warmer than the background. Of course if it is infrared and it is based on warmblooded critters, you will just have to kick brush as it warms up to see who/what came out of the dens.
Snake . . . . The other white meat!

I still haven't ordered mine yet. Best be getting that done here soon!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC, check here for best price.

http://www.qdma.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?

TID=1710&PN=1

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Thanx Plinker!!
Took me a minute or maybe a bit more to realize the URL got split up on to two lines. I have the URL pieced it together below.
The price is right for sure.

Right now I have to get a handle on these feral hogs in the "neighborhood" and do my best to convert them into edible products!

http://www.qdma.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1710&PN=1

Challenge your limits

posted Hide Post
Best place hands down to buy trail cam is on EBAY. A few weeks back I saw a BUY IT NOW price on a NIB Cuddeback at $319.99. Needless to say it didnt last long. I regularly see them lees than $350.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Plinker . . .Thanx I think.

Could not resist and used that link to buy one. Shipping supposed to be today or tomorrow!

I can't wait, plan on buying a couple of chips and carrying the chip back to the house. Now if I can just set it to avoid hundreds of turkey pictures. At least they will be on memory, NOT film.

Found a trail thru the woods Sunday that may be one of my first sets, certainly is NOT hoofed animals, but well worn in the leaves.

I found a nice trail branch with big tree to mount the camera to, but have to cut a few saplings to get clear shot.

Several place I want to ambush with the camera. I also found a set of boot prints where there should NOT be any boot prints so I guess I will make a system to quickly lag bolt the camera to a tree.

Thanx again for the URL Plinker!

Challenge your limits

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cuddeback is the way to go....Love mine... troll

Posts: 199 | Location: D/FW Texas | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC, you'll like the trail cam. It's a hobby unto itself, something to look forward to, and always the hope of seeing something different.

The boot prints are a concern. You do have to discourage trespassers when you have that kind of investment in the woods.

The Leaf River camera is easy to secure. I have metal cable, vinyl coated and two padlocks and lock it through the camera back and around the tree. Those cables are almost impossible to cut through. It'd be easier to cut the tree down than the cut that cable.

The turkey pictures would only be a problem if you don't switch the cards often. It doesn't drain the batteries much to take daytime pictures and you can just delete them. That way you won't miss anything. A lot of daytime deer have been showing up lately between 11:30 and 1:30 p.m. The daytime pictures with the sun filtering through the trees really look great.

It will be interesting to see what's using that trail that you said isn't hoofed animals.

I'm sure you're going to get a lot of use out of you new trail cam, and have fun.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry for the late reply Plinker603.

Some of our members have taken pics of snakes with their game cams but I would'nt think it will work all the time.

Snakes are cold blooded and most of the game cams sold use passive IR and motion to trigger. Something near 95 - 98 F degrees is what usually works. This is why people get false pics in the hot summer when nearby trees and other objects heat up to near that temp and the wind moves them.

Best price for the Leaf River digital game cams is

https://www.jesseshunting.com/osCommerce/index.php?manufacturers_id=30

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Plinker603

Well the outfit sent shipping confirmation today so I should get it in next week.

Plinker et al., any suggestions of mistakes you made when you first got your camera. I don't want to waste all that time learning from mine, I could use your mistakes and speed up my learning process.

Does any kind of adapter come with the camera so I can remove the memory card and download pictures to my computer without bringing the whole camera in?

I have hopes to buy an additional chip and then just switch them out every so often!

I can't wait to see what come thru the woods when I am not there!

I just hope I don't get a bunch of turkey pictures, I can get pictures of them in the front yard on any given day!

Challenge your limits

one of us
posted Hide Post
[IMG][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=260891&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/IMG]

I hear ya bout them turkeys Wink

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.qdma.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1766&PN=1

TC, here's url should take you to a thread on the QDMA site. It's a discussion of problems people have experienced with the Leaf River Camera.

I've had some difficulty with the instructions because they're not well written. They're also difficult to work with in the field. They're 5 or 6 pages of standard size paper stapled in the corner. A little booklet would be easier.

You need to get TWO memory cards. 128 mb are about 28.00 at Walmart. You can probably get them cheaper, try Sams or Staples. But that way all you have to do is switch the cards out, bring home and view.

Not catching anything interesting of late. Looking forward to the bucks growing their antlers back. That'll add some interest. Then when the fawns are born, i can't wait to look at them.

Good luck with your trail cam.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Well I spent the morning clearing areas where I plan to amubsh trails when the camera comes in. I probably won't be ble to get it set up and ready until next weekend and my scent and all of the ruckus should have settled down and leave the critters undisturbed.

Then I started clearing young growth along the property line and found two new deer trails.
Looks like I can walk to bow hunt next year!
Whoa wait a minute it is this year now. One old trail will be harder to hunt becuse it is actually two parallel trails about 35 yards apart. Spacing is perfect, trees are NOT.

Challenge your limits