Notify
Tools

Attention PA Bowhunters!
 Login/Join

<DOATargets>
posted
I just got this alert.

Attention PA Bowhunters!

It has come to the attention of the UBP that there is a proposal to change the fluorescent orange requirements for all hunters. The purpose of the proposed changes will be to simplify the orange requirements on behalf of both the hunters and the WCOs and DWCOs in the field. If passed, this new requirement will become a regulation during the 2004 - 2005 hunting season. From our perspective, bowhunters will be the most affected by the proposed changes and the effects will be negative.

The proposal reads as follows:

Protective Material Required.

(a) It is unlawful to:

Except as provided in subsection (b) hunt or assist to hunt any game or wildlife or move to or from a hunting location, from 1 hour before legal hunting hours to 1 hour after legal hunting hours outside of any motorized vehicle, at any time without wearing a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head, chest, and back combined so that it is visible in a 360 degree arc. This shall include going to or coming from a hunting location before or after legal shooting hours.

(b) Permitted Acts, It is lawful to: (1) (2) (3)

(4) Move about or relocate while hunting with a bow and arrow or crossbow during any archery deer season while wearing a hat made of solid daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head only. When stationary no orange-colored material is required. This subsection does not apply to any archery season which is concurrent with any season for small game other than woodchucks or any big game firearms season.

Based on the language of the proposed regulation, bowhunters will be required to wear a hat of solid orange during the first two weeks of the October archery season when on the move. In a stand, no orange will be required. At all other times 250 square inches of orange will be required, even when at your hunting location such as in a treestand.

Based on the near perfect safety record of archery hunting nationally, let alone in PA only, the UBP does not feel the additional requirements for orange are necessary. During our commentary to the PGC Board of Commissioners at the upcoming June meeting, to be held June 23 and 24 at the agency's headquarters, the UBP will voice opposition to the proposal. While we agree the regulations could be simplified, we feel the proposal goes too far.

The proposed regulation will be discussed at the June quarterly meeting and the commissioners may vote on the proposed regulation. Should the proposal pass, there will be a 90 day public comment period during which time you may voice your opinion of the regulation to the PGC staff and/or the commissioners. Then the proposal will be discussed and voted on a second time during the October quarterly commissioner's meeting. Should the regulation pass the second vote, it will formally become a regulation.

If you wish to comment on the proposed regulation now, we ask that you please address your letters to: Attn: Executive Director Vern Ross, PA Game Commission, 2001 Elmerton Avenue, Harrisburg, PA 17110-9797

The UBP will continue to follow this issue, as well as all of the other issues we are currently tracking that affect our bowhunting future. At the appropriate time we will follow this message up with additional information on what you can do to help preserve the tradition.

Mike Foust - UBP President

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, DOA. I must not have caught this previously... but I'm sure you've noticed how little information is now being provided on the commission's web site. [Roll Eyes]

I'll fire off yet another letter to the commission knuckleheads to protest their continued idiocy.

Stalking is my preferred method, and I will not take kindly to this.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I will fire at them also thanks for the info.

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Where does this stuff come from???? I can't imagine what purpose this would serve other than making bow hunting HARDER.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wanting Bowhunters to wear orage is the dumbist thing I have ever heard of. I allway's like Pa for bowhunting and felt that as bowhunters you all had the real edge and a corner on the market. Here in Oklahoma we only have to wear orange when bowhunting during Muzzleloader and Rifle season's and that is only because we can bowhunt during these seasons. We can Bowhunt from October 1st to January 15th. Good luck Guy's.

[ 06-18-2003, 23:30: Message edited by: Handloader ]

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Assuming the above PROPOSAL is true, I might really have to think hard about plunking down the cash for my non-resident PA license+bowhunting license!!

I live in NY, where Hunter Education first began, and we have managed to keep the 'blaze orange' rule simple (it's not REQUIRED, but SUGGESTED). Then I started hunting PA, then the blaze orange requirement for bowhunters during the 'early muzzleloading' season. Then the pain-in-the-ass requirement during woodchuck season (where I hunt, it's just me, myself and I on 3,000 acres of posted property)!!! Whew!!!

Anyways, for those of you who don't know it, you can't hunt on Sundays in PA (except fox, coyote, crow) - now let's talk about ridiculous!

Count me in on sending my disapproval to the Game Commission!

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/PGC/newsroom/2003/nr045-03.htm#rules

The board has give preliminary approval to these proposed regulations, and they're going to effect more than just bow hunters.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote