THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Good bow for handicapped wife

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good bow for handicapped wife
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My wife wants to start shooting archery. But she is handicapped, her left hand was injured when she was hit by a car when she was a child.(Some old farmer looking at a tractor in a field instead of paying attention.) I was wondering what would be a good bow to get for her she can't put alot of pressure on her left wrist and her hand is is kind of twisted up but she can hold things in it. I know she can pull 25 to 30 pounds. But my question is what brand and model would be the best for her. She mainly wants to just target practice and shoot in a leaugue. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Posts: 201 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should try a sports medicine clinic, they might come up with something to fit her hand. Truthfully if shooting a bow caused me pain or would lead to more damage--it's the last thing I would get into!! Our health is too important to screw with. What about a gun, it wouldn't be as bad maybe.

the chef

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You may want to look into getting her a Cross Bow. Check w/ the WFD, If cross bows are not legal there, a doctor should be able to give her the proper documentation to aquire a xbow permit legally.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
holding and pulling back a bow is not painful for her she just cant pull back alot of poundage. And I was wondering who makes a good youth or ladies bow that might work well for her

Posts: 201 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I would look for a "youth bow" with an adjustable draw weight and about 45-50 pounds on the top end.

Actually what I would do if it were my wife would be to take her to an archery shop and let her work with a person there to figure out something.

I do not see a weak left hand as being that much of an insurmountable handicap. A decent wrist strap can provide most of the support, if it is not enough use a couple wraps of athletic tape. Just have her start out at a low poundage, but at this point in her life I bet she's pretty damn good with making due with her hand. But for starters I'd go to a archery shop first, maybe they would have a couple of loaners she could use to decide what works for her.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If you would like a recommendaion on model, the browning Micro Midas is a good bow. They have a couple with differing draw weights.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Andy,

Are you near Lapeer County by chance? There is one bowshop I would recommend you and your wife visit and get her set up. It's where I started out 6 years ago with archery and am still a regular customer.

Drop me an email if the area is not too far for you and I will get you directions and a phone number.

aspenhill@triton.net

~Ann

Posts: 19159 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote