THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    wtb dangerous game arrows to test

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wtb dangerous game arrows to test
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am wanting to do some experimenting with different heavy arows for dangerous game. I am not wanting to buy a full dozen shafts just to excperiment with! (unless the price is great)

Does anyone have any EAston FMJ DG 250 or 300's they want to sell?

I am hoping to get from 2 to 6 of each, more if price is right.

They wil need to be at least 28 inches long to slot in nock. Bare shafts orcomplete I can refletch.

I already have some brass 100gr Blitzenberger inserts for the experiment

Could also use some two blade 180 to 300 grain broadheads to expeiment with.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at 3rivers archery, they offer a lot of their arrows in "test kits" usually it's a couple of each of the arrows. I'm pretty sure they have a test kit for the FMJ.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look up Don G's posts. Nobody has done more testing than Don. That will give you a good basis to start.
JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info. i have ben reading all of the posts on don G's testing and he has moved to "super hero" status with me!

I am wanting to get some arows togehter to get some speed figures to figure the KE engery of different arrows with my bow.

JCHB what aprt of South Africa are you in. i have hunted in Limpopo twice now and a litte bit in the Gauteng province, with my bow.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NPD, I'm down here in Kwa-Zulu Natal province.
JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Check out the VERY heavy fish arrows for testing KE.

Measure the speed with any 400-500 gr arrow, then a 1400 gr fish arrow, and you can use the KE curve to predict bow performance. It ALWAYS increases w/ arrow weight.

KE Points at 5 grains/lb (min), 10 gr/lb, and 20 gr/lb grains pretty much defines the curve.

It costs a fortune (as I recently found out) to send anything to RSA.

See if you can get in touch w/ Fritz Rabe in RSA to test the speed of your bow with some heavy arrows.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that heavy arrows win.

Never been a hero before. Me and SpiderMan, hey? Smiler

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:
Check out the VERY heavy fish arrows for testing KE.

Measure the speed with any 400-500 gr arrow, then a 1400 gr fish arrow, and you can use the KE curve to predict bow performance. It ALWAYS increases w/ arrow weight.

KE Points at 5 grains/lb (min), 10 gr/lb, and 20 gr/lb grains pretty much defines the curve.

It costs a fortune (as I recently found out) to send anything to RSA.

See if you can get in touch w/ Fritz Rabe in RSA to test the speed of your bow with some heavy arrows.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that heavy arrows win.

Never been a hero before. Me and SpiderMan, hey? Smiler

Spidey,

I am not in RSA, though I have bowhunted their a few times!

I am in Idaho.

Your testing has been very helpful. I hope to go back in 2014 for Cape Buffulo and I am just trying to get some practice stuff made up. Also, I am curious as to how my Bowtech will do with the really heavy arrows.

My draw length is just shy of 28" so it a little harder to get as much speed as the long armed guys.

When you get those new broadheads made up let me know where I can order a few!

shane
Nampa idaho

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Your shorter draw will of course make for slower arrows, but I'd still recommend heavy arrows - especially for buff. It will just make your range estimation more critical. I have pins every 5 yards above 30 yards for my 750 grain arrows.

You might want to go heavier than 750 grains with your shorter draw to keep the momentum up.

I am out of spare heads (have given too many away.) Maybe some day VPA will make another run, but I'm not involved except as a purchaser.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote