THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Please explain arrow rests!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please explain arrow rests!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How much of the arrow touches the rest during "launch"? I have noticed that I am getting black marks on the (inside) lower right vane of my arrows. In addition, I see marks on the right branch of the "Y" of the arrow rest (viewed from the rear). It seems to me that the equipment is telling me something, but the pro at the shop, paper tested the arrows and says it looks fine. The rest is a Trap Door. I certainly don't want to get fixated about soemthing that has no effect, but at the same time, don't want to ignore something obvious.
Thanks, Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
You have a dropaway rest and are getting fletching marks from it?

Find another pro shop that guy is clueless!

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
!!!! You are correct in the sense that he was not familiar with the rest! The problem is that it is the pro shop at the range where I shoot! Having said that, when exactly does the rest "drop away'? There is an adjustment on it, but I don't have the instructions as I bought the whole setup (bow and rest) used.
Modified) OK it looks like the manufacturer is out of business. Anyone have this rest who can explain how to adjust the tension? It seems to be "recoil" operated and is set too high.
(Modified) OK I was able to figure out how to adjust the TrapDoor rest. It was set at 2.5 and I adjusted it to 1.5. Hopefully this lightened it! I would still like an explanation of how these things work ie. when does the arrow no longer touch the rest?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may want to turn your nock 180 degrees until your verticle vane is straight up. Then, maybe your rest will be clear of your vanes when they pass. Just a suggestion.

gd

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Try the cock vane up as suggested and see if you lose the contact.

I had a Bowtech that would contact a NAP drop-a-way no matter how you tuned it. Never bought another as it shot and tuned well despite slight contact.

You can contact the rest co. via email and get details on how the rest needs to be set up.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen! The cock vane is up, so the other two should pass over the 'Y" of the rest, but clearly do not. As mentioned above, I believe that the company that made the trap door rest is no longer in business, so I was hoping someone here might have one. I have just blackened the rest. Unfortunately the black marks do not seem to be coming off the vanes. In any case I will see if the vane is still hitting the rest. I am still curious about the function of the rest. When does the rest "fall"?
Shouldn't it fall before the vanes get there?
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Yes it should fall before the vanes get there.

The trapdoor rest is inertia operated. I believe the sensitivity adjustment is on top of the rest. Loosen it to make it drop faster.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are hunting with the bow, buy a whisker biscuit and forget about it :-)

Posts: 135 | Location: New Jersey, USA | Registered: 02 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
The company is Montana Black Gold-they don't make the rest any longer, but still make bow sights and would be more than willing to help you out with your problem.

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nomrcy, thanks very much! I had a different name for the company. I am not hunting with the bow. At some point in time I might well change the rest and then might try the wisker biscuit (or whatever is the rage by then!)
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I finally got in touch with MBG and they were able to assist me. It seems that I was going the wrong way. I should have increased the setting from 2 1/2 to 3 instead of reducing it from 2 1/2 to 1. There is another setting, a set screw that I can adjust as well, that supposedly adjusts the speed of "dropping". Amazing!
Thanks nomrcy.
Peter.