Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using ASAT Camo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
What is your opinion of ASAT camo is it the best or is there a better pattern. I'm doing a archery elk hunt next year. Thought I'd get away from the dark blob paterns.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I use a 3D ASAT for bow hunting here in Africa and I am really happy with the way the suite is made as well how the pattern blends in...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used it in Africa and I've used it here in Canada. I think a gillie as actually more effective BUT the asat is way more user friendly. It's a bug net, it rolls up extremely small, it fits over any clothing you have. I've worn just underwear under it on warm days and tons of layers under it for cold weather. I actually wear the head net backwards after cutting off some of the leafy material on the back. That way my face isn't exposed throught the face hole.

Honestly I doubt there is anything that could be better. Buy it ahead of time and wash it 10 or so times to soften it up a bit.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ASAT is good stuff. For the western U.S. or the African plains, it has the right blend of light and dark.

Much of the other camo companies like RealTree and Mossy Oak have just too much dark in their patterns. While they work fine in midwestern and southern U.S. treestands, they're just too dark for much of the western or African applications.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Predator patterns.Same breakup concept but the colors are more appropriate for most areas.IMO the light tan base on ASAT is to light and the black lines to wide.Medium to dark grey might have been a better choice than black there.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have a Gillie suit that I'm taking but it seems to catch on everything, at least when used turkey hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob1SG,

I have looked at a lot of gillie suites.

They are just not designed or bow hunter friendly.

The 3D suite works a lot better.

If you get stuck it means you are moving to fast. Slow down a bit.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's true gillies do catch on every damn little thing. Mine is full of burrs, mud and such...they are impossible to wash I think and don't ever put one in the wifes dryer! I was out in mine in a snow/rain storm a few weeks back and it must have weighed 30 lbs wet. If you were traveling you'd need a whole extra suitcase just for the gillie. They are darned good cammo though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
I used it in Africa and I've used it here in Canada. I think a gillie as actually more effective BUT the asat is way more user friendly. It's a bug net, it rolls up extremely small, it fits over any clothing you have. I've worn just underwear under it on warm days and tons of layers under it for cold weather. I actually wear the head net backwards after cutting off some of the leafy material on the back. That way my face isn't exposed throught the face hole.

Honestly I doubt there is anything that could be better. Buy it ahead of time and wash it 10 or so times to soften it up a bit.

the chef

I have used it in Sweden for about a year now, good stuff, any slip ups while stalking have been all mine to take the blame for,

I have just like above resewn the head net and wear it backwards now,

still after being really made seasick I had to make small holes for the eyes, without the holes it would have been a lot better I think,

Best regards Chris

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Gerhard, I hunted turkey in SW Oklhoma this year in my gillie most of the stuff that attached itself to my gillie did so when I sat down.The sand burrs are worst. When I shot my Tom I had hens within 3 or 4 feet of me. I hope the ASAT 3D suite is as good. You are right about gillies not being bow friendly. Thanks again for the info

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are welcome.

I was sitting in a tree stand and a african mopane squirrel ran straight under neath me with out notice

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
My fave is the original predator brown or gray.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
My fave is the original predator brown or gray.

Totally agree!-------ASAT is also great!!

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote