THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Bear Mag'B' riser Takedown Recurve RH

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Mag'B' riser Takedown Recurve RH
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted
Bear Magnesium'B' riser Takedown Recurve RH
with 62" / 45# limbs
$200
captjack@ev1.net

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
What is the A,B,C, script on the limb in the picture?

I'm a lefty....just curious

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I looks like the string length needed to get a particular draw weight?

58" string = 47lbs
68" string = 41lbs

for a certain draw length I suppose? It looks like it was done at the factory, I can't remember seeing somethng like that before, but I've never had a takedown either.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Boss
Bear built the Mag handle in three different lengths. What that means is- that is how much those limbs would be in draw weight on the 'A', 'B' &'C' handles/risers and that is how long the bow would be with those limbs on that handle.
In this case it's a 'B' handle and those limbs are 45# and the bow ends up being 62"

The #2 in front on the serial number also refers to the length of the limbs. The limbs were available in three different lengths. These limbs are the #2 length.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
CaptJack - Interesting, thanks.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Capt, I would be a little leery of those if you ever want stronger limbs. I had the wood handled one and with 60 and 70# limbs, the brackets that hold the limbs kept bending. I don't know what the new ones are made of, but mine were soft aluminum. Mine was really slow too. My Wing at 60# would shoot 2219 shafts but I had to go to the 70# limbs on the Bear to shoot that shaft.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
bfrshooter
the metal handle flip levers for the limbs are steel on the early Mag handles. My 'B' was a Grayling built in 73. I bought it used in 75 and have used it ever since as a teaching bow. I had 28# limbs on it (that I sold about 2 weeks ago) but have never had a problem with the heavier limbs on the mag handles- in particular the 'A' riser. I've never had one of the wooden handles so I can't speak from experience.

It's academic at this point- the bow is SOLD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steel is good! I really loved the bow, it was beautiful with birdseye maple in the handle. But back then they had what was called fascore in the limbs. Really bad stuff and made, I think, to cut down on breakage. Slow like a snail.
Every time I took the limbs off, the brackets were bent. I sold it and stayed with Wing bows. Best ever made. I also had one of the early Bear compounds. Talk about SLOW! At 20 yd's it must have arched about 6 feet above the line of sight. I had to make sure I was not near a tree when hunting because the arrow would hit the branches. That bow was sold fast. I went to Jennings but they were prone to break limbs fast. It was hard to get replacement limbs to match too. Always had one stronger then the other. I now have 3 Brownings that shoot heavy arrows very fast (over 80 ft. pounds of energy) and I will never have to buy a new bow.
I had trouble with Bear because they closed the Grayling plant and moved to Florida when their workers wanted a raise. They were all laid off and cheaper labor hired. Then Jennings lost his butt from the lawsuit by Allen and he went to work for Bear.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote