CaptJack
Bear Mag'B' riser Takedown Recurve RH
Bear Magnesium'B' riser Takedown Recurve RH
with 62" / 45# limbs
$200
captjack@ev1.net

13 July 2005, 16:42
Boss Kongoni
What is the A,B,C, script on the limb in the picture?

I'm a lefty....just curious

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

13 July 2005, 17:54
Mark
I looks like the string length needed to get a particular draw weight?

58" string = 47lbs
68" string = 41lbs

for a certain draw length I suppose? It looks like it was done at the factory, I can't remember seeing somethng like that before, but I've never had a takedown either.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside
13 July 2005, 20:30
CaptJack
Boss
Bear built the Mag handle in three different lengths. What that means is- that is how much those limbs would be in draw weight on the 'A', 'B' &'C' handles/risers and that is how long the bow would be with those limbs on that handle.
In this case it's a 'B' handle and those limbs are 45# and the bow ends up being 62"

The #2 in front on the serial number also refers to the length of the limbs. The limbs were available in three different lengths. These limbs are the #2 length.
14 July 2005, 08:08
Boss Kongoni
CaptJack - Interesting, thanks.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

16 July 2005, 00:21
bfrshooter
Capt, I would be a little leery of those if you ever want stronger limbs. I had the wood handled one and with 60 and 70# limbs, the brackets that hold the limbs kept bending. I don't know what the new ones are made of, but mine were soft aluminum. Mine was really slow too. My Wing at 60# would shoot 2219 shafts but I had to go to the 70# limbs on the Bear to shoot that shaft.
16 July 2005, 02:25
CaptJack
bfrshooter
the metal handle flip levers for the limbs are steel on the early Mag handles. My 'B' was a Grayling built in 73. I bought it used in 75 and have used it ever since as a teaching bow. I had 28# limbs on it (that I sold about 2 weeks ago) but have never had a problem with the heavier limbs on the mag handles- in particular the 'A' riser. I've never had one of the wooden handles so I can't speak from experience.

It's academic at this point- the bow is SOLD
16 July 2005, 06:37
bfrshooter
Steel is good! I really loved the bow, it was beautiful with birdseye maple in the handle. But back then they had what was called fascore in the limbs. Really bad stuff and made, I think, to cut down on breakage. Slow like a snail.
Every time I took the limbs off, the brackets were bent. I sold it and stayed with Wing bows. Best ever made. I also had one of the early Bear compounds. Talk about SLOW! At 20 yd's it must have arched about 6 feet above the line of sight. I had to make sure I was not near a tree when hunting because the arrow would hit the branches. That bow was sold fast. I went to Jennings but they were prone to break limbs fast. It was hard to get replacement limbs to match too. Always had one stronger then the other. I now have 3 Brownings that shoot heavy arrows very fast (over 80 ft. pounds of energy) and I will never have to buy a new bow.
I had trouble with Bear because they closed the Grayling plant and moved to Florida when their workers wanted a raise. They were all laid off and cheaper labor hired. Then Jennings lost his butt from the lawsuit by Allen and he went to work for Bear.