THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Bow Fishing - Slides, Shafts & Line Weight

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bow Fishing - Slides, Shafts & Line Weight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My old MARINE CORPS buddy Ralph mentioned the "AMS Plastic Slide" which goes on the Shaft looks like it could be duplicated by using a Nylon Wing Nut(40cents each). I stopped by Lowe's, looked them over and I believe he is correct.

Also located some Non-Tapered Solid Fiberglass, 48" x 5/16" Driveway Markers. These come in Yellow and Orange for about $2. No idea if they were cut to 31"-34" if they would be Stiff enough to make a Fishing Arrow or not, but they looked pretty good. Might depend on the Draw Weight?

And I was looking at Line possibilities. Noticed on another Board that some folks recommended 200#-300# Test Lines made from the Micro-Dyneema or Spectra type line material. Very low Stretch which would be good if the Arrow got stuck in the mud so it does not Sling-Shot back toward you.

Also saw where a guy "Opened Up" the front of an 808 Reel so the Line would flow more freely. Of course he Sanded Off the sharp edges.

Is it possible to Over Bow for Bow Fishing? Might have been on You Tube or who knows where, but someone mentioned a Heavy Draw Weight when shooting close to Rip-Rap is an excellent way to destroy both the Tip and the Arrow.

Your thoughts?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Something to keep in mind... I like to keep my arrow in the fish and avoid a complete pass thru. Ideally the point will penetrate the off side, but the arrow will remain in the fish. I like to use fletching on my fish shafts to aid in avoiding a complete pass thru. I don't think fletching provide much stability for the shot, but it does help stop the shaft from going all the way thru the fish. Threading the shaft back thru a fish after a pass thru is time consuming and messy !

This is a good reason not to "over bow" for bowfishing... I have always used a medium weight recurve and it works fine.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The driveway markers are EXACTLY the same as a fish arrow. You can look at making a cable slide if you can't work out the other kind of slide. Also look for 5 gallon pail reels on google. Basically you cut the top off a pail and shoot through it...looks pretty good although I haven't used one. The AMS reels are really the way to go if youcan get them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ghostbird:
...I don't think fletching provide much stability for the shot, but it does help stop the shaft from going all the way thru the fish. Threading the shaft back thru a fish after a pass thru is time consuming and messy !
I spotted a flick on You Tube where they were using a Tip that Unscrewed just a bit and then the Extended Wings would fold forward. They would pickup the fish with the Arrow so weight was against the Tip, turn the arrow a bit to release the Wings, and then the fish would fall right off. However, your point about the Arrow passing completely through is a real good one, I can see where that would add an additional task to the process.

quote:
This is a good reason not to "over bow" for bowfishing... I have always used a medium weight recurve and it works fine.
When you say Medium Weight, do you mean 30#, 35#, 40# or something in that range/

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
The driveway markers are EXACTLY the same as a fish arrow. You can look at making a cable slide if you can't work out the other kind of slide.
Ah-ha! tu2 Thanks CalgaryChef. They sure looked the same to me, but I don't yet have a regular Fiberglass Fishing Arrow to compare them for Deflection. That will sure make Ralph's day too. Big Grin

quote:
Also look for 5 gallon pail reels on google. Basically you cut the top off a pail and shoot through it...looks pretty good although I haven't used one. The AMS reels are really the way to go if you can get them.
Haven't heard about the 5-gal Pail Trick, Thanks again. I will look it up.

Ralph and I have discussed just what type of Line Holder would be the best for us. Looks like plenty of options availabe. And I do see a whole lot of folks speak highly about the AMS Reel.

We have also considered taking some Plastic Dry Roasted 16oz Peanut Jars, spray painting the inside of them, drilling a hole through both ends, Glueing a small piece of PVC through the Holes to make it water tight, and put it on a l-o-n-g bolt(Head Cut Off) screwed in where the Front Stabalizer goes. And wind the Line around the Jar - which is Wasp Waisted. Then if we get a BIG one, we can just follow the Jar as it pulls free from the Bolt Stud. Surely with a Hole through the fish and it dragging an Arrow and Jar around that shouldn't take too long.

By the way, has anyone tried Glueing a Cut-off 223Rem Case onto one of the Driveway Markers so it can be used as a Practice Arrow?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
get the ams retriever, well worth the money..... use the muzzy tips, but bend the barbs all the way against the shaft and use a file to let it rotate........

if you have any other questions pm me, we used to bowfish a lot...

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. It will be awhile before I'm ready to "tackle" Big Grin Bow Fishing, but I sure appreciate the offer.

One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of carp every year and I only use AMS reel and rest. Its nothing to go out and pull back 150 times.The AMS system is the only way to go, with safety--the jar,slides and the reel--which I must now do is use a lot of WD40 to lube it but what a great time..... dancing

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote