New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recurve bow stringer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know where to buy a bench type recurve bow stringer or ever see one?How do you string your traditional bows?step thru?Also does anyone have a building plan for a wooden bench bow stringer?a fellow hunter friend of mine has one and they are the easiest things to use and the safest i have ever seen.Someone told me they use to be built by Jack Howard years ago.? thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They usd to sell 'em. A piece of string with a leather tab at each end. Put a tab at each end of the bow and then step on the string, holding the bow in one hand. As you pull the bow up, it bends and allows you to string it. Obviously one end of the bowstring is already in it's place, and the other, wider end, is on the bow arm ready to pull up into the notch. I have one somewhere if you can't find one.
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
that's how I string mine, no other way. What peter said.

Any bow shop should carry them.... I have a few of them, don't go anywhere with out it!!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DON"T STRING A RECURVE ANY OTHER WAY! Its damaging to the bow and dangerous to you. People have lost eyes using the "step through method" and lots of bows have got twisted limbs that way. The rope type bow stringers cost about $10 or $12 and most bow makers supply one with a new bow. ANY supplier to the trad bow market will sell them. Three Rivers Archery is one.

Posts: 421 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gang!I got one on the way!I thought there had to be a better way!Good luck & get a bigun! thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once you see and use one, they are relatively easy to make with small cord and leftover scrap leather.

I know this has already been said, but do not string recurves with the step through or push/pull method.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote