THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Advice sought RE: cross eye dominance, please

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice sought RE: cross eye dominance, please
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted
In short, I am looking to get my brother into bowhunting. Unfortunately, due to some stupidity some 20+ years ago, he cannot legally own a firearm. Sigh. Anyway, he is left eye dominant but is a righty. Please advise as to what concerns (and fixes/remedies) there are for this situation. Any help greatly appreciated.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Well, if he hasn't shot a bow before, consider having him try it left handed. There's no reason he can't shoot left handed if he starts that way. The other option would be to shoot right handed, but with one eye closed. I'd opt for learning left handed from day one.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
if he has to shoot right handed, try an eyepatch over his left eye when he shoots. might be kind of a pain, but should work.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I shoot both iron-sighted firearms and bows right handed and am left-eye dominant. I bought a pair of shooting glasses and painted the left lens beige (any light neutral color will do). When shooting a bow I remove the right lens as it interferes with my eye alignment.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I had my wife shoot rifles lefty after seeing that she is LED, and she shoots great, but wasn't sure if something like a bow would present other problems due to the physical aspect. Anyway, I've got plans to take him to a bow shop and see how it feels for him both ways. Appreciate people taking the time to respond.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Gari,
I'm the same way. I never could get comfortable shooting a bow left handed, even though I shoot all firearms lefty and am left eye dominant. I have not had any problems shooting a bow with my right eye. I never had to do anything like the other guys have said but I can close my left eye. If he can close his left eye, I dont think he would have any problems either.

Good luck!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a lefty but right-eye dominant. I shoot right-handed. I have to close my left eye at first to get the view right since the dominance isn't as strong.

Posts: 41 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote