THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Quiver & Arrow Recommendation

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quiver & Arrow Recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted
I've just acquired a nice recurve bow and am shopping for wooden arrows and a quiver. Any you would recommend?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wooden arrows, I'd suggest going to 3Rivers archery and getting one of their test kits. They come with 6 arrows of 3 different spines. see what flies well then get more of the same. I quit shooting woodies a long time ago but they still work as well as they have for the last 3000 years, so if you want wood shoot wood.

I like a bow quiver, it's quieter for hunting than a back quiver and my arrows don't spill out every time I bend over. But every bowman needs a back or side quiver so look around and see what appeals to you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The really "old time" cat quiver is really nice for a recurve shooter. Can wear it on your back or attach to your daypack. Tom Miranda uses one a lot as I see him using it on lots of his TV shows.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day,

Are you on TradGang?

Anyway, for a classic, affordable leather back quiver, I strongly recommend Mike G from California. For a robust, traditional-looking bow quiver, I recommend the Selway slide-on with the leather-covered hood.

As far as arrows go, do you make your own? If not, 3RiversArchery will get you by, although sometimes their nocks fall off. But I can strongly recommend TradGanger Joe Lorenzen's custom arrows - quite affordable, and they look brilliant, with lots of options for you.

If you need a hand working the required spine out, I use a mathematical formula that works really well. Just let me know your draw weight at your draw length, the point weight you would like to use, the type of string material, and the cut of the shelf (to or past centre).

Douglas fir shafts from Surewood Shafts are excellent. They are tough, and stay straight. Good to work with, too.

Happy shooting, and let me know if I can help.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Thank-you gentlemen.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote