New
Find
Notify
Tools

HHA 5000
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been looking at this sight and I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with it. if not, i would appreciate suggestions on another single pin sight.
HHA 5000

Robert

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an HHA 3000 on two of my bows and have been very pleased with the performance of HHA's products.

Even after belly crawling through the sagebrush of eastern Colorado it held zero. Now if I had only done my job well.... Sigh....

I believe you'll be pleased with the sight you've picked.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lhanson8
posted Hide Post
One of my friends put one on his bow last year, I figured I'd wait and let him discover any problems related to using one while hunting. He loves the thing, didn't have any problems. He said he left it on 30 yards and for anything under he held low. Anything over 30 yards and he had plenty of time to adjust.

I'm going to put one on my bow soon.

Posts: 82 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 20 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I can not stand the darn things.
There is absolutely no need for them when we can have our sight pins already adjusted.
One more thing to mess with, one more thing to have to check, one more thing to get knocked off position.
In my opinion this type of sight is one of those things that make some sense on paper and make you crazy in the bush.

Just a thought, I have seen several of these sights on bows, including at one time on mine for a short, short while,, I can't remember seeing one on any bowhunters bow that had been doing it for any length of time.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bucko:
Personally I can not stand the darn things.
There is absolutely no need for them when we can have our sight pins already adjusted.
One more thing to mess with, one more thing to have to check, one more thing to get knocked off position.
In my opinion this type of sight is one of those things that make some sense on paper and make you crazy in the bush.

Just a thought, I have seen several of these sights on bows, including at one time on mine for a short, short while,, I can't remember seeing one on any bowhunters bow that had been doing it for any length of time.

Personally, I can't stand the multiple pin sights and prefer the range adjustable sight when I'm hunting. I like one pin to look at, and find the sight picture cluttered up with three or more sight pins.

I don't know what you consider a bowhunter, or what "any length of time" is, but I've been bowhunting since the early 70's and have been using range adjustable sights since the early 80's.

In that time, I've taken an unknown number of whitetail deer, a nice bull elk, two black bears, three wild boar, a corsican ram, a jacob's sheep, an American bison and an Asian water buffalo. And with the exception of perhaps three or four of the dozens of whitetail, all have been taken with a sight like the HHA.

You like multiple pin sights, I don't, it's that simple. That's the great thing about having so many different archery products. Everyone can find something that they prefer.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, I hate how cluttered the multi-pin sights are, the adjusting to get them sighted is also complicated and unnecessary. Single-pin sights are very appealing to me.

Robert

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have two!!! A 5000 and a 5500 on my bows.I leave it on 30 yards. If a shot is over 35 I adjust it. I had a buddy time me for an exersize. I started at an unknown distance from a target. I knocked an arrow,ranged the target adjusted my sight and put one in the Bullseye. Total time? Nine seconds!!! distance was 42 yds. My buddie thought I had been practicing this excersize and it was the first time that I tried it. I just wanted to show him how quick it is to adjust. There is no more gap shooting. Adjust the sight and hold dead on. You will never shoot the wrong pin again. I can't stand to look through a cluttered 3 pin sight let alone a 5 or even worse a 7 pin. I used it in Africa last year and took a Kudu,Zebra,Black Wildebeest,Gemsbok and an Impala.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! thanks alot, haven't had a person who had actually used this sight yet, but this was a great review!

Robert

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have that sight on my bow.

I am a new bow hunter. With my eyes Eeker I find even a 3 pin sight too cluttered.

I also like the adjustable brightness feature.

The range adjustments are easy silent and repeatable.

The first day I deer hunted with my bow I killed a doe in the morning at 25 yards and an 8 point buck in the afternoon at 27 yards.

Both with the same arrow and broadhead.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome, I'll get back to guys when I get the sight to tell you how it goes. Thanks for all the help!

Robert

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert, did you ever get the sight? I have one and love it. They are a first class company to deal with.

Learn from Yesterday
Live in Today
Live for Tomorrow!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to my local shop and asked if they carried them. They replied by telling me that they no longer carry HHA products because they said they had faulty bushings which people constantly brought in for repair.

So in short, no. I have put off buying a new sight so far.

Robert

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Hi Robert-

I have been using the DS-XL5519 on a Mathews DXT for over a year now. At first, I thought it was a little too heavy to put on an otherwise anorexic bow, but at full draw I didn't notice it. In fact, it probably helped steady me a little. The dial is easy to get used to and as they said above, it is actually a lot faster to adjust than one would think. Sighting in with it wasn't any trouble either; I just followed the directions. I have the 0.19" pin and it is bright as hell with the 10' fiber optic. In fact, I had to turn it down on more that one occasion because it can cause a halo effect (almost like looking into a bright flashlight). All you do to turn it down is twist the sight housing. It works like a very simple rheostat.

I haven't had any problems with bushings. I do make a habit about every 3 or 4 times I shoot the bow to go over all the allen bolts to make sure they are tightened. I emailed HHA and suggested they consider stainless steel hardware to prevent corrosion, but other than that there are no problems.

Good luck!

(here's a link, but I've seen them slightly cheaper elsewhere, but probably not with the generous return policy of B.P. or Cabela's)
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/...321____SearchResults

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert, I have this sight on my Browning Illusion bow for the last three years. I shoot indoor archery, 3D and hunt with this same sight. I have found nothing that I would want to replace it with.

Posts: 94 | Location: S.E Pa | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert, Just go and buy it! You will not be disapointed!

Learn from Yesterday
Live in Today
Live for Tomorrow!