THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Taking the plunge into Crossbows

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking the plunge into Crossbows
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
OK, I just bought a BARNETT WHITETAIL PRO STR: with the hand crank cocking device. Rated at 400 fps. If I like hunting with the crossbow then I may buy something different later but this will give me a start for our 4 month crossbow season.

It comes with two BARNETT 22" HEADHUNTER ARROWS field points and half-moon nocks.
1-ounce arrows have strong, lightweight carbon shafts; improved wall thickness for added durability
13.78 grains per inch, matched with 100-grain point
SPECS: Length 22", 13.78 grains per inch, matched with 100-grain point,

I plan to try to shoot whitetails and coyotes with it. The bigger bucks here will go about 250 Lbs on the hoof.

Can anyone recommend extra arrows and broadheads (and field points for practice). I'm going to shoot fixed broadheads to keep it as simple as possible.

I use a thermal scanner also for locating wounded/dead animals, if that makes any difference.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12533 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I bought a Barnett “Wildcat” (150# Compound) on sale at Cabelas several years ago and killed several deer with it. I picked up a Zeiss crossbow scope and it was a huge improvement over the scope that it came with.
Last year I moved to a Barnett GRZ (200# Recurve) and it feels much lighter and less clubby than the Wildcat. Accuracy seems a bit better too.

My advice is to buy a dozen of whatever arrow came with the bow and field points that match the weight of your broadheads. I use Grim Reaper mechanicals so I can’t help you with fixed.

If you shoot a $12 arrow with a $15 broadhead at an animal from a crossbow something gets broken on impact almost every time along with the real possibility of damaging arrows while practicing. I’m not shooting Mr. Wile E Coyote with my crossbow.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
I bought a Barnett “Wildcat” (150# Compound) on sale at Cabelas several years ago and killed several deer with it. I picked up a Zeiss crossbow scope and it was a huge improvement over the scope that it came with.
Last year I moved to a Barnett GRZ (200# Recurve) and it feels much lighter and less clubby than the Wildcat. Accuracy seems a bit better too.

My advice is to buy a dozen of whatever arrow came with the bow and field points that match the weight of your broadheads. I use Grim Reaper mechanicals so I can’t help you with fixed.

If you shoot a $12 arrow with a $15 broadhead at an animal from a crossbow something gets broken on impact almost every time along with the real possibility of damaging arrows while practicing. I’m not shooting Mr. Wile E Coyote with my crossbow.

Thanks, I wasn't going to skimp on the arrows. I'm going to buy a dozen or more and dedicate half of them for practice and coyotes. We can only use guns of .264 caliber and smaller for about 6 months of the year so the rest of the time I'll be using the crossbow. The other half of the arrows, besides testing them, will only be used for deer hunting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12533 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, I had to switch over to a crossbow some time ago after breaking a shoulder in 5 places. I have to admit that it took a lot of the fun and challenge out of bowhunting. With a compound or recurve, the tension starts when you see the deer approaching. You have to wait for a reasonably close shot, time your draw with the movement and sightline of the deer, select the right pin, wait for the broadside shot, and then let fly, and hope it doesn't jump the string. With a crossbow, one you see the deer, you put the scope on the vitals and shoot. My compound shoots softball-sized groups out to 65 yards. To me, it's not much different than gun hunting here in the dense northeast woods. If the kill is the goal, all is great, but you lose a lot of the excitement of a true bowhunt.

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

I've never bow hunted so I won't know the difference. I grew up left handed and left eye dominant and when I started hunting 50 years ago there weren't any left handed bows or any that I could afford so I never got into archery. When I reached the point in my life that I could afford any bow that I wanted, the wear and tear on my rotator cuff has ruled out regular bow hunting equipment.

This just gives me an extra 30-60 days that I can sit in a blind every year.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, it does increase your time afield, for sure. We can bowhunt from about September 5th thru the end of the following January. Have at it! :-)

Posts: 20084 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Took the crossbow out and set the target at 20 meters. The first two arrows were touching each other 1" high and 2" left. Made a scope adjustment and the next arrow drilled the center of the 2" dot.

Shot one Muzzie broadhead and it hit 1" right but that may have been me. I couldn't shot anymore because I misplaced my string wax.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, with a crossbow, it's good to have multiple aiming points on your target face, or else you're going to be busting up expensive bolts. My target had 5 aiming dots, and I shoot an arrow at each one separately.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Frank, with a crossbow, it's good to have multiple aiming points on your target face, or else you're going to be busting up expensive bolts. My target had 5 aiming dots, and I shoot an arrow at each one separately.

I just found this out. I damaged the fletching on one arrow with a shot from the next arrow.

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been considering the same as Im thinking it can be used in regular bow hunts for deer and elk and add another hunt during the year..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thought about it but can only be used during gun season in MT.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this an old thread, but recovering from total knee replacement so catching up.
Crossbows are light years ahead of what was produced even a few years ago. Today you can purchase a very serviceable rig for under $500 all in. You could also spend $4000 or more. Like rifles a $350 .30-06 from Cabelas will kill everything in NA but some guys want a $10,000+ rifle to do the same thing.
I prefer the narrowest width at drawn that I can get...around 6". Broad heads are a personal choice but stay with a minimum of 100grs , I prefer 125gr mechanical bolt material another personal choice I prefer carbon.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have two cheaper Barnett's they both will shoot better then you can.

They both shoot over 300fps.

My son just brought the last one close out damaged box for 90 dollars from Wal-mart.

It is a slightly improve model of the one I have. Mine has killed a lot of deer.

They also had close out bolts at 3 dollars each. He brought them all.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great thread and comments. I hope more info keeps coming. I will like draw a premium Wyoming elk tag where I can hunt bow and rifle. Also. Crossbows can be used during the bow hunt. Therefore, it would add significant hunting time.

I’ll likely try it.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I messed with one briefly and found the thing heavy and awkward and not much fun at all. But sometimes life herds us in a particular direction due to physical issues.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I messed with one briefly and found the thing heavy and awkward and not much fun at all. But sometimes life herds us in a particular direction due to physical issues.

Like I mentioned earlier they have come a loooong way in recent years. Even recurve crossbows are now made compactly, reverse draws etc. Are going places never before thought possible.

Posts: 735 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote