New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feathers In the Rain
 Login/Join

<37PNT7>
posted
What do you guys use on your fleather fletching in the rain? I'm going to Quebec for caribou next month and it can be pretty wet there. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Go to your auto supply or Wal-Mart and buy "Black Magic Tire Wet", it's a tire wash/prep. About two dozen of us trad shooters fromthe Stickbow side of the Bowsite have experimented with it and now swear by it.

I used it the last two year in Co. in Elk camp we had rain last year 8 of 10 days out. I've tried everything over the years and so far this is the best stuff.

Just cover the shaft in front of the feathers 7 the nock(or remove the nock) and mist the feathers. Use a paper towel to remove excess. (I've also soaked them but there is no additonal advantage)

Of course some common sence is still needed you should try to keep the feathers covered in rain.

I'd suggest you try a few, I'm pretty sure you'll be happy. Good Luck in the Great White North.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have it in front of me so I can't remember the nambe but when I used feathers, I dipped them in a white powder that I bought from the archery shop. It worked well for me.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<37PNT7>
posted
Thanks, Boss. I'll try it.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Does "Black Magic tire wet" leave the feathers oily?

- Wipe the excess off with a paper towel. It will give them a "slick" feel after it drys but the feathers are jusr as flexiable as ever...And...if the did get so soaked you can steam them....which you can't do very well with power.

Some of the guys that test it even held the feathered arrow in a bucket of water andthey didn't colapse.

Does it have a scent to it?

- Initally, it kinda smells like cherrys...as it will go away. I used it on two elk hunts around elk, mulies & black bears....I don't belive it was an issue.

Does it discolor the feathers?

- No I use white & chartuse(sp) feather and I don't see a difference.

Try it on a few of your practice arrows or old stump shooters. Leave one out over night in the dew or rain. I think you'll be surprized.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Does "Black Magic tire wet" leave the feathers oily? Does it have a scent to it? Does it discolor the feathers?

I've used the white powder for years, and though it works pretty good, it's a real pain in the ... to keep using.

Thanks in advance for your responses. - Eric

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote