Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken antler
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone ever shot a nice big buck only to have it break off the antler when it fell? Well, I did. The buck was a big 8 pointer with the first couple of circumferences measuring almost 5 inches, which is very good mass for TN. The best I can tell, it measures about 115 inches with about a 17 inch spread. Anyway, the antler broke just after the brow tine and is deformed such that it doesn't fit back together. I have taken it into a few hunting stores/shops and nobody has seen such a thing before. Has this happened to anybody else?

Posts: 10 | Location: Hendersonville, TN | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 break by falling down hillsides after they were shot (it is hilly over here). They never were deformed so they could be glued back together though, I didn't do that because we just made other things out of them. I'd take it to a taxidermy shop if you really like it.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friend shot a nice 10 point buck last year which made one final leap onto a broken log and opened it's belly up for us. Took alittle while to figure out what happened to him.

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Guy>
posted
Ten years ago I had a nice 6x6 bull elk fall and die in a rocky meadow and break off the fifth and sixth points on his right beam. He landed or hit the beam so hard that it also cracked it lengthwise for about 10" down to the third point. The longest piece of the shattered points that we could find was 3" long. We also could not find enough of the pieces to try and glue it back together. Everyone who see's the rack always comments about it.