THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    What release are you using?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What release are you using?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted
I was just wondering what release people are using for target or hunting? I am currently using a Carter ember 2 or a Carter Like Mike for a wrist release. The Ember is probably the smoothest release and most versatile one i have shot with to date.
http://www.carterenterprises.c...images/Like-Mike.jpg

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using the good old TruFire Classic Caliper release. It's not new, it's not bling or fancy, it just works well for me.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm also shooting a Tru Fire, the X-Caliper II Model. It is designed so it will release by pulling the trigger, or if you start with the trigger pulled, it releases when you take pressure off the trigger. So far, I'm just using it where you Pull the Trigger and it is very smooth. The amount of pressure to release is adjustable. Velcro close.

The second Tru Fire I have is actually a Pull(Non-Release) Device with a Hook where the Calipers are normally located. Tim at the Gun/Bow Shop I use gave me one so I could pull the Bow over the Winter and not be concerned about a Dry Fire. The Bow Shops have them just for that purpose when customers are trying the Pull Weight of different Bows. Buckle close.

Both allow me to use the Wrist to Draw with and is very comfortable. Plus you can just drop it when you need that hand for doing something without it getting away from you.
-----

Current plan is to use either some "No Gloves", "Finger Slicks", etc., with Mechanics Gloves when Bow Fishing. But I've not tried any of that yet.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
Trufire has always made some descent releases. I shot and still have a couple. I tried the ball release they had but just didn't feel right. I also like the 4-play hunting releases. I still have the first release i ever bought when i was 11 I mowed lawns to get it, lol. It's an old Barner 250 wrist strap index finger release that pretty much set the benchmark in rope releases.

http://www.archeryhistory.com/...eleasespics/ass1.jpg

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Count me as another fan of Carter Releases.

I have used the Carter Quickie 1 for the last five years.

Carter Quickie 1

This is a great wrist strap style hunting release. It's specifically designed to use on a string loop. Hooking a string loop with it is fast and very quiet. The trigger mechanism is the smoothest on any release I've ever owned.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
All of mine are Scott and my 21 year old set is just as good as the new set I picked up last season.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I use a FletchHunter release. It is small, and on a wrist strap, so I don't even notice it while hunting. The thing I like about it is the all Aluminum construction, so it is very durable and simply won't have a part break at a critical time. Jim Fletcher Archery is a much smaller company than most of the 'name' release companies, but I think his release is better than most, at least for hunting.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Fingers, I don't have to worry about dropping them out of a tree stand or misplacing them.

rudyc

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also use a Fletcher release.I have a 25 year old model that is looking like it may be good for another 25 years.I have a second one that is new to carry as a back-up since I lost one of my originals a year ago. Great release.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been using a scott itty bitty for years now, with no problems. Fits my small hands perfectly.

Posts: 20 | Location: central Mo. | Registered: 14 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my Scott caliper style.

I've done some testing with some different releases. It's amazing to see how accuracy and repeatability changes just by having a bad release.

posted Hide Post
Like rudyc above, I use three fingers. No chance of dropping anything at the wrong time. Oh, I have gone high tech and added a calf hair tab to my fingers.

Posts: 12 | Location: Central Utah | Registered: 26 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Manti,

The only problem with fingers is when the weather gets really cold, they don't work so well...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post

Big Grin

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Tru-Fire Hurricane Glove. It seems to relieve some of the tension of a heavier bow on my old shoulders.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm using a Carter Strapless myself. I don't like having the release around my wrist.