New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo cow Hunts
 Login/Join

<Bighorn Hunting 1>
posted
We had a hunter take a buffalo cow today with a PSE at 73 lbs with a over draw shooting a 25 inch arrow. Everything was going good until the buffalo went into a creek with twenty foot banks on both sides. What a hunt!! Five men,a Ford four wheel drive,and about two hours later we had her out and on the way to the cooler. What a hunt.

<Bruz>
posted
Wow, sounds like fun...how much did she weigh and where did you get her? [Eek!]

one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruz:
Wow, sounds like fun...how much did she weigh and where did you get her? [Eek!]

My dad took the cow on a ranch near Bandera, Texas. I must say, this hunt was an absolute blast. The funny thing was, the guide had joked with us at breakfast about the time he had to go into a pond to retrieve an axis. Little did he know that four hours later, he would be wrestling a 1000lb bison cow out of a river!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a quick post. Just returned from a bowhunt with Rodney, had a GREAT time. I owuld highly recommend this trip to anyone. It would make a great family trip. There are plenty of different animals to view, or shoot; and Rodney will go out of his way to make sure you have a great time. I AM definitely going back next winter, I have visions of Red Stag here....

If anyone has any questions about this ranch, feel free to e-mail me at :bowhunter0556@msn.com

I am not compensated in any way, shape, or form here. Just want to send you guys and gals to a great ranch with a very personable guide. You will not be dissapointed.

Posts: 31 | Location: Berry, Kentucky | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Hi Big Horn Hunting 1,
I just got back from from Canuck's Dad's Buffalo ranch. They wanted a big bull taken out of the herd with bow and arrow so it wouldn't stress out the rest of the herd. I still can't believe how big that bull was. Three of us tried to set him up for pictures and couldn't do it. The bull was estimated at 2300 lbs. I've wrestled with some big Moose and they pale in comparrison. I'm really glad he didn't get into a deep gulch of some sort. The weather was -30 degrees celcius the whole time. The funny thing was when I draw my bow back one of the reference points is the fletch laying on my lip and having to hold up a bit on the shot trying to free the fletch up because it froze there. Do you have any pictures?
Take good care,
470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
I took a 1800 lb bull with a longbow. Hit him back just a bit took tip of lung and liver. Had to track and stalk him in his bed. Put the finishing shot right where it should go. Got a cool pic of me running for cover as the bull went to his knees. They are huge animals and can move so fast. The shoulder mount sticks 40 inches from the wall.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
After butchering one of these beast up you realise that the anatomy is a little different than you would think. When your thinking one third of the way up for your shot your really aiming half the way up. The area from the top of the back down to the bottom of the spine is actually about 16 to 18 inches deep with bone and muscle. So if you get a chance to shoot a Bison keep in mind that the actual rib cage area starts that 16 to 18 inches below the back line and then go for the one third up on that area. We had a splitting saw with us with a 16 inch blade and had to cut from both sides to split the back bone over the shoulder area.
470 Mbogo

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Just so you can get an idea of the mass of these animals I'll post a couple of the pictures from the trip. This is a Plains Buffalo.

This is my hunting partner Chris and I
 -

This is Chris and the Buffalo
 -
Take care,
470 Mbogo

<recurve shooter>
posted
seem to have a genitic memory of a side of ribs on there edge by a nice fire and the fat dripping down over the ribs .now you guys have made me hungry !!! sure would like to get with in 20yds of one with a recurve .----- herb [Big Grin]