THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    PSE Carrol Intruder...Is this a decent bow?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSE Carrol Intruder...Is this a decent bow?
 Login/Join

<atlasmlc>
posted
I have a chance to pick up a PSE Carrol Intruder for next to nothing from my brother. He just bought a new Mathews and wants me to start shooting with him. Is this a good bow to learn to shoot? I'll need a release, what should I get?
Thanks,
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the information on the bow - http://www.pse-archery.com/Features/oldcatalog/1996/1996CarrollIntruderII.htm

As for a release, shoot one that your brother has extra so you can learn to shoot. After a couple months go to a pro shop and try their demo releases and make your selection based on what feels good for you.
As a finger shooter, don't overlook this style as it has some advantages over a release.
You would have to change the rest ( I assume) in order to shoot fingers but if you find the release not to your taste then do so.

What is the draw weight of the bow now? If it is too high have it turned down so you can learn properly.

Good Luck and welcome to the addiction [Big Grin]

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Atlasmlc - The Carrol was my first "good" bow. Good speed and reliable. Can be a little noisy so quiet it as much as possible. Well worth the money if it's reasonably priced. I suggest getting the cams lubed and the pivot points at the limb pockets cleaned and lubed if this has not been done recently. Have fun!!

Posts: 49 | Location: York , PA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
<atlasmlc>
posted
How would you suggest I "quiet it down"? I know it has little puffy things on the strings...but what else should I check for or add to get this thing as quiet as possible? I have heard of putting stuff on the rest, and I can certainly check on that item, but what else?
Thanks,
Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
atlasmlc,
It all depends on the type and loundness of the noise as to how to quiet it further.
Is it boomie when shot?
Does is twang or thump when shot?
Does it creak when you draw?
Does the arrow make a scratching sound when drawn?

These all take different types of action to quiet them down.

As LongRifle said have it cleaned and lubed to start with as this might take care of some noise.
The puffy things on the string are called silencers and help reduce the noise of the string when the bow is shot.

After you get teh bow cleaned and spend some time shooting it ask more questions about the type of noise you are hearing and we will try to help from there.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
<atlasmlc>
posted
Thanks for all your help guys. I guess it would probably be helpful if I shot it a bit before I starting fixing the "imaginary problems"!! I guess I am a little anxious.
Have a terrific day.
Mike