THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Non fatal arrow wound on a kudu:

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non fatal arrow wound on a kudu:
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch! Poor bugger!

Saw a similar pic of a black bear that had a broadhead lodged in its spine, not deep enough to incapacitate it, and it survived for what semed like at least a year.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I feild dressed a bull elk several years ago that had a two blade broad head stuck in it's C-spine. The blade was impaled in in it's C-4 vertebrae. The bone had grown over the broad head so it's been there a while.

It obviously didn't penetrate to the spinal cord.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pig skull that has a load of what looks like number 6 shot inbeded into the bone, it looks like it had been there for a while as thee bone has grown around the shot.... the pig wasnt doing so good, and was blind in one eye but had been alive for a while, pretty interesting....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Tink nathan as in tinks 69?

Interesting pics/stories

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
i saw similar cases in some wild boars ,axis deer ,and water buffalo .Althoug im not against bow hunting ,i believe it isnt for every body ,only for real experts in correct circinstances.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
It happens sometimes. Rarely but sometimes.

It is not just with bows either. I saw them dig a healed over bullet out of the shoulder of a blue wildebeast on my first safari. According to the hunter and PH the bull showed no signs of being previously injured.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a whitetail buck a few years back with an arrow that hit the animal in the front shoulder blade, I recall the deer turning to run and notice what little penetration was made, after tracking the deer for close to 12 hours we gave up since the deer never laid down and blood trail was small drops at best in the snow. About 3 weeks latter this buck was shot during the rifle season and the scabbed wound on the shoulder was all but healed. After further examination the only part of the broad head that was recoverable was the hardened tip which was buried in the front shoulder knuckle. There was scarring in the joint from the blade
which apparently burst ed on impact and apparently festered out but the deer was fine
I had a friend who was gutting a yearling doe he had shot and while cleaning the chest he found an en-capsuled wooden arrow shaft which was between the vertebrae and the lungs the ends must have broken off. The deer showed no evidence of being recently shot since the winter fur did not show any scarring, appears deer was shot early season or during the summer

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine hunted the same deer for 3 years. First year no shot, second year had (3) shots. (2) of the (3) were non lethal wounds, one a complete miss. One knicked the brisket, second was high above the vitals and low of the spine (we thought). Practiced all summer, turned his bow down from 80#s to 65#s, season rolled around that big buck was back in the same place. Second week of bow season he put a broadhead right through the heart/shoulder, deer went about 50 yards. Upon skinning it they found his broadhead from last season embedded in the deers backstrap just below the spine. There was no real scare on the hide and the buck moved fine. He mounted the broadhead on the pedestal with the deer as a reminder of what it took to get the deer.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
talk about "the odds" I killed a caribou bull in Quebec up on the shore of the Artic Ocean at Deception Bay in 2005 with my 67# Hoyt that had a 6" piece of aluminum shaft and Thunderhead broadhead inside it's body cavity.There were no signs of ill health or recent wound seemingly making one believe the bull carried that inside him for at least on year from the previous hunting season.
Just consider the odds of another hunter even seeing the same bull in it's lifetime let alone wounding it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, it is amazing what wild critters can survive.

quote:
Althoug im not against bow hunting ,i believe it isnt for every body ,only for real experts in correct circinstances.Juan

Bowhunting truly is a discipline. From choosing the correct equipment, becoming proficient with that equipment and most importantly, the discipline to know when not to take a shot, and to take a shot you know is 100% slam dunk.

The margin for error is not as forgiving with archery equipment.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting? It't tragic...

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norsk:
Interesting? It't tragic...

Yes, wounding an animal is never nice.
I guess you have never done that.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote