THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    So let me get this straight. you guys make your own bowstrings?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So let me get this straight. you guys make your own bowstrings?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I noticed in the other bowstring thread that you guys posted links to string MATERIAL vendors, not ready made strings(well, I did). somebody enlighten me. Is it more cost effective to "roll yer own" bowstrings, kinda like reloading ammunition?

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gixxer, for the cost of strings if's not worth getting into it to save money.

the chef

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Only if you want to play around.

I do re-serve my strings, and take material on a hunt to do repairs/reserve.

But I take a spare (purchased) bowstring that has already been broken in and stretched to settle on the bow I'm hunting with. My spare even has the peep sight and silencers on it.

I can use my bowmaster portable bowpress to install the spare string.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a bowmaster press also. I guess I just looked into the thread a little too much. I dont mind serving in parts, or replacing the center serving, but I wouldnt trust myself to do end loop servings.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well if you shoot much and/or have friends that do, rolling your own is the only way to go. Learning to build strings and cables is easy and really takes very little equipment; most you can build yourself. I have even handrapped serving when in a tight. With the cost of a few Cable Sets, and Bowstrings you could be setup and rolling away. There are hundreds of places on the Internet to pick up tips and learn how to do it.

May the Force Be with You!!!

Posts: 11761 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been making my own strings from day one. Not hard at all. Just have to use the new materials for the compounds. I still use Dacron for recurves and longbows. I made a string jig from a steel stop sign post. I found it on the side of the road years ago after it fell off a state truck.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Making your own is the best way to shoot a flemish twist string on your tradional bows. All it takes is two limbs sticking out of a down pine tree, or two nails in your workbench, or I've even used two kitchen chairs spread apart.

Fun to vary the colors and exactly which string material you make one out of.

I can build a three strand flemish twist string and have it on my bow and shooting it quicker than I can drive the 1/2 hour into town to try to buy one (which the local sporting goods store won't have anyways.) LOL

I figured it up once, and it costs less than a dime to build one.

Posts: 49 | Location: Upper Michigan | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
If you can tie in a peep you can make a bow string. The bigest problem I have is making the long one cam strings, as far as I know there's no real formula as to where to put the idler serving and how long to make the end servings or where to put the arrow (center serving). It is best to have the old string even if it's broke.

Like Cold Rider said about the only way to get a flemish string is to make it your self and with a little practice you can make them to with in 1/2" or less of you desiered length. I was actually surprised at how easy they where to make. It has been a long time since I have made one though. It would take a couple tries I'm sure.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flemish twist. That reminds me of the Flemish Cap in the movie "The Perfect Storm". Too funny. Like the old guy in the bar, " I have been out to the Flemish Cap. Big fish, big weather.". Ok, enough of the hijack. Anybody have resources online where I can go to learn more?