Find
Notify
Tools

Getting back in the sport
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Like some other posters here, I am also thinking of getting back into archery. Seems like every time I look back into the archery scene, the technology and gadgetry aspects have multiplied enormously. I am attracted by traditional equipment, but feel more confident that getting back to the sport with a good, smooth compound bow would be the better ethical choice for me right now.
I have been scrolling around looking at some of the different manufacturers, and am leaning toward Hoyt, Parker or Reflex.
The traditionalist in me has always led me to shoot with my fingers. Can any of you suggest particular models in the lower- to middle part of these makers' price ranges that would be good, smooth bows for a finger shooter? I will be looking for a 70 pound bow.
P.S. Ann, which Parker are you shooting?

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

The key to a good finger shooting bow is one with a long axle to axle length.I believe Reflex does make a couple bows that are finger friendly.
Good luck with your search.

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ford: Thanks for the reply. The Reflex Caribou is out of my price range, but their Gamegetter is not, and it has an axle-to-axle length of just shy of 40 inches. I have lso been urged to look at the Martin Cougars in the longer a2a models, and also the PSE Dakota.

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<DOATargets>
posted
Hey Bill -
Check out Darton Archery. www.dartonarchery.com They have the top smooth bows to shoot. I also like PSE and shoot PSE but have shot the Darton and love it. The CPS is the best I've shot but only own the two cam models. I just like double cam bows.
DOA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill;

Longer bows are a must, and that is what I have always shot; more forgiving and all. But when I switched to a release, the arrow speed went up, and the groups got smaller. Just a thought.

Posts: 33 | Location: Great Midwest | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I shot recurves a fair bit as a kid, with finger release. Then last summer I was over at a buddies house and he brought out his compound, all decked out with a whisper biscuit rest and a release.

With me not having shot a bow for 20 years, and having never shot a compound or a release, I was easily keeping all arrows on a paper plate sized target at 30 yds, and once I got the feel of it, could hold them in a group the size of a clay pigeon.

I think especially for a firearm shooter, a release is very easy to learn, and modern compounds are amazing weapons.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote