New
Find
Notify
Tools

peep sight location
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just read an article in the August 2005 issue of Peterson's Hunting magazine about tuning your bow. On page 94 the article talks about peep sight positioning. It says that the peep sight should be located such that it is naturally in the right spot when one draws and anchors. That makes sense to me. It does not make sense to me that one should have to readjust their head/neck/eye position to look squarely through the peep sight.

I think my peep sight is too high because when I draw back with eyes closed and anchor in the spot that works for me and then open my eyes I find that the peep is high and I need to reposition my eye.

I asked the owner of the local bow shop about this and he was reluctant to change the position. He thought it would mess up my front sight or something like that.

My front sight is already lower than I would like it to be. If I lowered the peep sight would I have to reposition the front sight? If so would the front sight also have to go down? Thanks, Bruin

Posts: 33 | Location: Walla Walla, WA | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Find another Pro Shop!!!
You are on the right track. Draw your bow with your eyes shut, grab your anchor and align the peep to match your line of sight.... then adjust your pins!

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I asked the owner of the local bow shop about this and he was reluctant to change the position. He thought it would mess up my front sight or something like that.
bull

That sounds like your bow pro is rather LAZY and giving you wrong info. You are correct that the peep should line up with your eye at anchor. Just move your pins when you have it adjusted.

You should fire this guy and go to another source for your bow issues.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Have someone watch you draw your bow back several times w/ your eyes closed and have them mark the string w/ a Sharpie. Position your Peep in that location.

If you are worried about moving your sight, go shoot your bow while not using the peep in its current position, look under the peep and shoot then see how much your sight will have to be moved. You may not have to move it very much.

Good Luck,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote