Find
Notify
Tools

Broadhead preferrence??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
I am using the Beman Carbon 340 spine out of a 70# bow. Was going to stay with 100gr or 125gr at most. What would you recommend?

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Steelforce.

~Ann

Posts: 19161 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus 1 to steel force. Very strong, have flown like field points out of 4 different bows for me. Cut on impact, deep penetration, and they will resharpen for you.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the same arrow and poundage. Headed to Zimbabwe for plains game in 5 weeks and will be shooting Muzzy MX4 broadheads.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2635 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Vantage Point Archery broadheads. VPA heads are machined from one solid piece of high carbon, tool grade steel. They are heat treated with a teflon coating added. These are solid heads with no welds and they fly great. Easily resharpened and hold a good edge.

I have tried a lot of different broadheads over my 40+ years of bowhunting and these are the best of the best !

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting the same poundage and with the same arrows. On my last two trips to Africa I used Razorcaps 125 grain. Of the 17 animals taken only one; a huge SCI gold Warthog, was not a complete pass through. On the warthog it shattered and stopped on the offside shoulder.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend Slick Trick.
They are great broad heads.
Very solid, sharp and fly very well.
I have been using 125 Magnums, but am going to use 175 grain Xbow Trick in SA next year because I want a heavier arrow with higher FOC.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Which Steelforce? Fathead?

I used Muzzy three blades some years ago, I get the fourth blad is another cutting surface but thought I had learned the three blades fly more true.

Which VPA?

How durable are the Razorcaps?

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never damaged a Razorcap on an animal. I shot one into a cinder block and it bent the tip ....slightly! Very easy to sharpen, just run across a flat file or stone, rotate and do again for each eadge. If there is a problem you can change out theblade section. Change out the ferrule section and you can adjust from 100 to 200 grains.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
100 grn 3 or 4 blade Muzzy

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muzzy and if you dont like those try a Muzzy Big Grin

Recently on a trip to Texas my buddy convinced me to try 100 grn Rage broadheads. I shot a Axis and Scimitar horned Oryx, performance was impressive to say the least. Blood poured from both like I have never seen with any other broadhead.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
A cut on contact fixed blade head. For deer or black bear pretty much any fixed blade will do.

For bigger, tougher game I suggest 2 blade heads in 125 gr and up. VPA makes some very good heads.

Get one that shoots well for you after perfectly tuning your bow. I suggest paper-tuning then bareshaft testing as per the EASTON download.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a fan of mechanicals, The rage 2 blade in 125 grain have served me well for the last three years. I have never had a problem yet and continue to get very large entrance and exit wounds

Matt

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Can't use mechanicals here, They have to be 7/8" or bigger, and the blades have to be .015" or thicker.

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
I use the VPA three blade 125 grain broadhead with solid blades (no vents)... they now have a 125 grain vented version as well.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
The VPA looks pretty good. Can they be sharped laying each side (two blades) on a fine stone, or does each blade have to be sharpend individually?

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
The 3-blade ones can be sharpened as you say.

Two-blade ones are sharpened one blade at a time, of course.

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Slick Tricks, very accurate, just like my field tip and very tough, they punch a hole right on through and the four blade design cuts a lot of flesh....

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
For deer I use mechanical. I have great success with the Grimm Reapers. If you are limited to fixed blades or hunt anything bigger go with Grizztricks.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot everything from turkeys, whitetail, wild pigs, black bear, several varieties of wild sheep, an elk, an American Bison, and a 1,400 lb. Asian Water Buffalo with my 70 lb. Forge bow.

The two consistant things have been my bow and the Slick Trick Magnum 100 broadheads I use...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fgulla:
Another vote for Slick Tricks, very accurate, just like my field tip and very tough, they punch a hole right on through and the four blade design cuts a lot of flesh....

I use these and love them. Lots of blood, accurate and great penetration.

Posts: 2246 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steel force two blade with bleeder blades in100"grain.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Steel Force. The fly well and kill like crazy. Can't keep one in an elk out of my Mathews Switchback @302fps

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steel force 125 with bleeder blades,,, I shoot it out of a Matthews switchback and new Heli on carbon express 350's at 70 lbs. complete pass throughs on everything I have shot including 2 mature elands at 1900 lbs, I have seen the same performance while behind the camera for a friend with the same set up but a Muzzy 3 blade 125,,complete pass throughs on giraffe, kudu, wildebeast etc,, nothing ran out of sight. I have seen good result with the Montac and the slick tricks as well behind the camera...There are a bunch of great broadheads out there,,,,,but a personal opinion,, the larger the game you are going to hunt,,, better consider a cut on impact like a steelforce. Smaller game like white tail,,, expandables or fixed will work when shot in the boiler room.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norwegianwoods:
I highly recommend Slick Trick.
They are great broad heads.
Very solid, sharp and fly very well.
I have been using 125 Magnums, but am going to use 175 grain Xbow Trick in SA next year because I want a heavier arrow with higher FOC.

I've used the 125gr Slicktrick Standards with great success. I'm also rigging out a bow to shoot heavier arrows but am going with the 150grn Xbow tricks to up the FOC. The Xbow tricks can use either the standard or magnum replacement blades. The magnum blades is what they come with.

For 340's at 70lbs the 125weight heads fly better than 100's in many cases.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personal preference listed below:

Rocket steelheads (mechanicals) for walking & stalking plains game where 40m + (44 yard +) shots are common. I need absolute field point accuracy at range.

315 Ashby's (2 blade) for the really big stuff but I think I will be moving to VPA's (better steels)

I don't have any experience with American game but I reckon any of the better broadheads will do the job on a deer at treestand (+- 20m)range out of a 70lbs bow.
JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed 2 deer, one doe and one nice 8pt. buck with the same 100gr Mangus Buzz Cut.

It gave complete penetration through both deer, including the shoulder bone of the buck.
Shots were @22 to 25 yards.

They are very accurate out of my bow to 40 yards, not that I am ready to shoot at an amimal that far away.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
VPA, Abowyer, Steelforce, and Grizzly in that order. I shoot trad bows from 50-70 lbs and my heads are in the 200-325 grain weight range. Two-bladers all the way for me!

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my friends here is an outfitter and when he came out of the mountains last week, he told me that they had lost a total of 3 bull elk to poor penetration with expandables.
Good shot placement but they didn't do the job.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
One of my friends here is an outfitter and when he came out of the mountains last week, he told me that they had lost a total of 3 bull elk to poor penetration with expandables.

I've noticed that many of the hunting shows are sponsored by expandable broadhead companies. I've also noticed some pretty poor penetration on game while watching some of the hunting shows on TV. I've also noticed that many of the shots where the arrow does pass through are what I consider to be too far back. Which is why I think so many shows feature the game recovery happening after dark!

But I could be wrong on that. I do know the last three deer I've shot with my Slick Trick Magnum 100 broadheads, I watched the game fall, so I didn't have to wait several hours before taking up the track...

I'll continue to keep my bow properly tuned so that my fixed blade broadheads fly well, and I'll continue to kill game quickly, cleanly and as humanely as possible.

But pagosawingnut, I think the tagline in your signature belies your statement. It does matter what you shoot!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Shof,
Referring to firearms. I have yet to lose an animal to my Steel Force, (knock on wood). The 5 x 5 bull I shot at 60 yards was a complete pass through. Yes, it takes more time to tune using fixed blades, but it is worth it.

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:

Just got a very big doe today with my Grimm Reapers. Complete pass though on a heart/lung shot. The deer ran a whopping total of 10 feet and collapsed.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just got a very big doe today with my Grimm Reapers. Complete pass though on a heart/lung shot. The deer ran a whopping total of 10 feet and collapsed.

Congratulations on the meat in the freezer. However well the Grimm Reaper performed on your whitetail, you do have to remember this.

Even a VERY large whitetail is small in comparison to a small cow elk. Elk have a thicker hide, heavier bones and much more body mass than any whitetail. Excellent performance on a whitetail does not always translate to excellent performance on elk sized game...

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shof:

Congratulations on the meat in the freezer. However well the Grimm Reaper performed on your whitetail, you do have to remember this.

Even a VERY large whitetail is small in comparison to a small cow elk. Elk have a thicker hide, heavier bones and much more body mass than any whitetail. Excellent performance on a whitetail does not always translate to excellent performance on elk sized game...

Very true but I think that the lack of penetration has more to do with what arrows people use. I think the trend is to go with the ultra fast- light arrow. Penetration is going to be far less using a 6gpi vs. 10gpi. I tend to use the heaviest arrow I can get my hands on. Currently, I am using FMJ's.

---Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just an additional " FYI ".. I was thumbing thru " Primitive Archery Magazine ", and read a product review of " Badger Broadheads ".

http://www.medicinebear.net/

" Solid one piece construction, high carbon steel,harden to 50 Rockwell, single bevel two blade "

PAPI

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:
quote:
Originally posted by Shof:

Very true but I think that the lack of penetration has more to do with what arrows people use. I think the trend is to go with the ultra fast- light arrow. Penetration is going to be far less using a 6gpi vs. 10gpi. I tend to use the heaviest arrow I can get my hands on. Currently, I am using FMJ's.

I agree that this need for speed and very light arrows often result in poor penetration. Specially when using mechs.

I use a 600 grain arrow with a 175 grain Xbow Trick going at 260 fps and I don't think I will get much problems with penetration Smiler

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Follow up:

I posted above that I was going to Zimbabwe and using Muzzy MX4 heads.
I took warthog, impaala, zebra, wildebeast, and kudu. The MX4s worked fine. However after passing through and hitting rocks or in one case a lot of bone a couple of them were bent. I don't consider that a big problem, but you might.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2635 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Bending on anything inside an animal is bad news.

Glad your trip worked out well.

Don

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Follow up:

I posted above that I was going to Zimbabwe and using Muzzy MX4 heads.
I took warthog, impaala, zebra, wildebeast, and kudu. The MX4s worked fine. However after passing through and hitting rocks or in one case a lot of bone a couple of them were bent. I don't consider that a big problem, but you might.

For years, I was a die-hard Muzzy fan, finding that they flew well, cut through just about anything and the animals hit with a Muzzy left a good blood trail. But, I did notice I'd bend the ferrules on the broadheads from time to time.

I was told about Slick Trick Magnum 100 broadheads and bought a pack of them to try them out. They're similar in design to a Muzzy MX4, but where Muzzy uses an aluminum ferrule, Slick Trick uses a steel ferrule.

Since I've gone to the Slick Trick heads, I haven't bent a single ferrule and am still using the same three heads I originally bought. With those three heads, I've killed two wild hogs, five whitetail deer, a Jacob's Ram, a Corsican Ram, an American Bison and an Asian Water Buffalo. And while I have had to replace one set of blades after the arrow hit a rock after passing through a deer, all three ferrules are still straight...

To me, that says a lot about the toughness of Slick Trick heads.

One of Us
Picture of elkslayer4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
100 grn 3 or 4 blade Muzzy

quote:
Originally posted by Heym 450/400:
Muzzy and if you dont like those try a Muzzy Big Grin

3 Blade 100 gr Muzzys! tu2

skin that one out, and I'll get ya another

Posts: 44 | Location: Lane county, Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2012Reply With Quote