Find
Notify
Tools

Practising for Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted
I started some serious practising with the bow for this years African hunt and shoots at least 30-60 minutes per day at my 40 yard indoor range.

This is from todays practising on 33 yards (30 meters), feels good for me!

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Chister,Christer,Christer..."40yrds"...Why are you practicing at Double rifle distences???

That's a decent group at 40 but your dropping your bow-arm, all the arrows are in the backstop bag about a foot below the kill on that deer target. Luckly, you've got some more time to practice.

Seriously good luck!!!, what are you after & were will you hunt?

For me Shooting up out of a ground blind was as bit tricky at 1st, as here in the States we tend to shoot down out of trees.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Boss

Thanks for your help, I will be careful with my bow-arm next time.

I will hunt both with rifle and bow and mainly with rifle. However when we find a good oppertunity the bow will be coming along (always in the bakkie). The last two days we will hunt on a Bow hunting only camp about 20 miles south of Messina (Limpopo River). With the bow I will be happy with anything from Stenbuck to Kudu (Eland maybee). With the rifle we will go for a lot of the species that are to be found in Free State and then in the Limpopo area we will do some serious pig hunting inside an Orange Plantation.

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Chister,Christer,Christer..."40yrds"...Why are you practicing at Double rifle distences???

Thats because it is quite comnvinient to shot the bow and the double at the same time

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I hunted the Messia area, excellent bowhunting habitat. I envy you my friend. I had hoped to go back to Africa this year.

What bow & arrow/broadheads will you hunt with?

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
That will be my fourth trip to that area and I just love the area.

I have a Hoyt Ultratec XT2000, Vapor arrows and Thunderhead 125 grains broadheads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Christer,
Groups look good to me but I agree they do look a bit low
I would take your bag target into a field or woods and spend some time shooting unmeasured distance and uneven terrain. Have someone set the bag while your back is turned and when they get back to you, turn and take one shot in a fairly quick time frame. I do this in addition to my fixed range work as it gives you a good feel for trajectory and also gets you into thinking about the unknown distance challenge.
Good Luck this year!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote