New
Find
Notify
Tools

Natural Treestand
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This tree has an unusual formation that made it easy to use for a tree stand. It is where i shot my first deer from.

[IMG][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=244079&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/IMG]

The trunk is completely hollow inside all the way to the ground. That trunk is massive! I would sit up there with my legs dangling in the hole. Then i was struck with the idea that if i fell in, i'd go to the bottom and not be able to get out. bawling

Next year i may cover the hole and put up some camo. The shots present on the lower side. from the upper side, you're almost level with the hill and skylined.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, need to clarify, i bow hunted from there couple times, but i didn't shoot the deer till rifle season.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Plinker

Be careful with steps "nailed" on to a tree with thick bark. The lack of penetration and rot can make them dangerous in a fairly short period of time.
My wife lost a cousin and a guy where I used to work did some REAL damage to face and head with nailed stands.

Looks like a great spot, partially close the hole so you won't fall in and put up some camo cloth and it looks lie a real winner!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're right, TC, the bark on that tree was over an inch thick and the steps were 1 1/2 thick. I was trying to use 3 1/2 inch screws and they just didn't hold so i used 5" spikes. They're in there good, and pressure treated wood.

Sorry to hear about your wife's cousin. That'd be a bad way to go.

Plinker

aim small, hit small