Find
Notify
Tools

Monster on the loose ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of F.C.Selous Stu
posted
Does any one own the new Mathews Mcpherson Monster, or has any one had the chance to shoot it? I,ve been reading up on it and it sounds like a beauty. It shoots at 324fps with a 385gr. gold tip xt hunter arrow, and at 334fps with the 361gr. gold tip ultra light arrows. I have used both of these with my bow. The say it is smooth to shoot, quiet for its speed, and easy to draw. I have the drenalin which is a solo cam bow, how does the duel cam monster compare? What are the main performance differences out in the field compared to the drenalin. The mathews black max is also very quick but a b#@4rd to shoot. Any input would be much appreciated.
BOOM The monster sounds like a cannon of a bow.

The Archer seeks the mark upon the path of the infinite,

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you didn't like the Black Max, you'll probably not like the Monster models either. The thing with the Black Max and the two Monster models is they're very fast, but they all have a very short brace height.

And THAT's what I don't like about 99% of the speed bows. Yes, they're fast, but that also means you miss fast too! In order to shoot a short braced bow, you have to be VERY CONSISTENT in your shooting form, and that's not always possible in the field. Remember, the shorter the brace height, the more difficult the bow becomes to shoot consistently.

I used to say you could have a fast, but difficult to shoot bow, or you could have one that was easy to shoot, albeit slower bow. That's not the case any longer.

Forge Bow Company has introduced the Ventilator, a legitimate 330 feet per second bow that has an astonishing EIGHT INCH BRACE HEIGHT!

I had the pleasure of shooting one and without any stabilizers on it, nor silencers, or anything other than the rest, I found the bow to be very consistent shooting, quiet, with a smooth draw and very little vibration. I'm sure that had the bow been equipped and ready for hunting, the little vibration I did feel would have been dampened by the accessories.

There ae two models, one is 32 inches axle to axle, the other is 34 inches axle to axle. And with a $650 MSRP, you can pretty well equip a bow for less than the $899 and $959 price of the Matthew's bows alone!

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a Monster (NOT the XLR8) and find it to be very easy to shoot an very accurate as well. I am very new to bowhunting and started with a Diamond Rock about 3 months ago and got the monster about a month ago. I am shooting a 29" DL at 62# (70# backed off) and with Gold Tip 385 grain arrows I chrono'd it at 305 fps. With GT Ultralite arrows which weigh 342 gr, I am getting 315 fps. I have an Octane stabilizer on it and a Dead Stop string stop. No vibration. The string stop made the biggest difference by far over the stabilizer as far as stopping any vibration.
The bow does feel a touch top-heavy until you draw it back, but then that disappears. The draw is smooth, but firm from the start, but hits a very solid wall at full draw.
I am certainly no bow expert...far from it, but i will tell you that I can keep 5 arrows in 8" at a lasered 52 yards easily. I use a Whisker Bisquit rest...simple and easy. I can also tell you that if you hold a touch low at 20 yards and a touch high at 50 yards, you can use a single pin....my 3 pin sight never uses the 3rd (lowest pin) out to 52 yards...and all 3 pins are tight to each other.
I have also heard good things about Forge bows, but have zero experience with them...never even seen one outside of a picture.

Bows seem to get more opinions than double rifles....and that is saying something!
I love my Monster.

Key is getting FIT CORRECTLY and I believe I did.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary,

Some people seem to have a natural aptitude to shoot a bow, and it sounds like you're one of those people.

I'm sure your Monster is a fine bow, as are others in their line up. Matthews does make decent enough bows, I just object to Matthews bows, primarily based on their pricing.

I have some friends in the archery industry, so I know what the actual costs are for manufacturing a bow. I'm not at all adverse to any company making a profit, but in my opinion Matthews takes it to the extreme!

But, as long as people are willing to pay their prices...

I'd rather shoot a quality built, lesser known bow and use the extra money for accessories.

And you are right, getting properly fit for a bow is very important. More than most people are aware of.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought a used Black Max this summer shoots well it was all decked out with a dozen arrows for 300 dollars.

Posts: 19388 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shof:

As you say, there are some very fine bows out there....made by a multitude of makers. Obvoiusly, the "big boys"....Mathews, Hoyt, PSE and the like have their following...as I am sure Forge does. I agree that an 8" brace is more forgiving that my 6" Monster...who knows...maybe I'd spend even more money if I had one by splitting my arrows.. Wink...but when I was doing my research for what I wanted, I never even saw a Forged bow in my area. I knew I wanted speed...not that my Rock was slow...with a cranked down 61.5#, 29" DL and the same 342 gr arrows, I chrono'd it at 287 fps...and that ain't bad...but the options available for speed were PSE and Mathews. I tried a couple of them and liked the Monster.

I don't know about the aptitude for shooting a bow...maybe so....but it does feel pretty natural and with the sights and gadgets available these days...it's a whole lot easier than 40 years ago when I shot a long bow for fun at 14 years of age.

I realize that Mathews bows are higher than most...they sponsor A LOT of shooters and shows and I'm sure that is reflected in their price. I am blessed enough that when looking, a couple hundred one way or the other wasn't my prime concern....and I'm thankful for that.

All in all, I respect whatever a man (or woman) shoots as long as they take time to practice so that their harvests are as humane as possible.

Love to try a Forged though!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, if you ever get to West Tennessee, give me a shout. I have three different bows you can try out. Unfortunately, none of them are a Ventilator.... Sigh... Frowner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shof....you never know where my travels will take me....might just take you up on that offer.

Thanks.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC