New
Find
Notify
Tools

How slow is my bow?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just chronographed several different arrow weights from my Martin Lynx Magnum (purchased in 1993). It has a 30†draw length and I had it set at its maximum of 75# draw weight.

Lengths of arrows are without tip. All arrows were Easton aluminum.

Arrow 1 was a XX78 2413 and was 31†long and weighed 505 grains with a 97 grain target tip. Velocity was 222 fps.

Same arrow with a 130 grain target tip weighed 538 grains and velocity was 216 fps.

Arrow 2 was a XX75 2413 at 30.25†long and 378 grain weight. With 97 grain tip weight was 475 and velocity was 227. This arrow with the 130 grain tip weighed 507 and vel=222

Arrow 3 was a Gamegetter II 2219 at 31.5†length and 511 grain weight. With 97 gr tip wt=607 and vel=207 fps. Same arrow with 130 gr tip weighed 640 grains and velocity=203 fps.

Weight=475; velocity=227; energy=54
Weight=505 or 507; velocity=222; energy=55
Weight=531; velocity=218; energy=56
Weight=538; velocity=216; energy=56
Weight=607; velocity=207; energy=58
Weight=640; velocity=203; energy=59

I am interested to know what kind of velocities a new bow with new technology would be giving me with similar arrow weights. Basically wondering if a new bow purchase is in order. I called Martin Archery and asked if I could get new limbs and cams installed on my existing bow and the guy said yes but it would cost about $250 and I would likely only get another 10-20 fps. I thought new limbs and cams would give me much more velocity than that so that is why I am asking you guys what kind of velocities you are getting with new bows and similar arrow weights.

Also I would like to know if the energy difference between the lighter and faster arrow is significantly less than the slower heavier arrow. It is basically 10% less energy but if that arrow weight and velocity will still blow clear through an elk then should I go with the lighter arrow or the heavier arrow if they are both equally accurate? Thanks, Bruin

Posts: 33 | Location: Walla Walla, WA | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Your might enjoy this site:

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/ballistics.html

Short ans. for hunting, use the heaviest arrow you and your bow can shoot accurately and 5 yrds. past your own shot limit(to give you a fudge factor on your dist. judgement)

Heavy arrows retain engery longer and have more mometium and transfer that energy into penitration. The other factor that is usualy overlooked is drag. The effect of the diameter of the arrow shaft as the arrow follows the broadhead into the game.

This is were the 3D sdhooters "Knitting Needles" out penitrate the trad guys "Logs". Guys focus only on the wieght of the arrows and forget about the drag.

Take two of the same dia. arrows wt one 100 gr. heavier and test this for yourself. You would also need to use two bows at differant draw wts. as the arrows would need to fly at the same speed to be an honest test.

I did say "short ans." right? roflmao

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruin: I wonder if you actually weighed the draw weight. I have an old Lynx Magnum, and it is tired. It maxes out at 12 lbs. under what the rating says on the bow. This is with new cables and string.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I personally would use carbon arrows vs. the arrows you listed. Sometimes it is hard to switch but, once you have, you probably will not ever turn back. Aluminum arrows are a thing of the past.

If I had to choose between the arrows/speeds you listed, I'd go w/ the 227 fps set-up. I shot in the 230s for years w/ aluminum arrows and killed alot of deer w/ that set-up. You have to be more cautious of an animal jumping the string and of trajectory as well.

I'm currently shooting 295 fps w/ carbon arrows and all I have to use is one pin from straight down to 30 yards. No more pendelum sights needed around here Big Grin.

They jump the string less w/ the faster bows not only due to the faster speeds but, newer bows ae far quieter than their predecessors.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader, what is your draw length, draw weight and arrow weight? Also what is the bow? Why are carbon arrows better than aluminum? Thanks, Bruin.

Posts: 33 | Location: Walla Walla, WA | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JD, the guy at the local archery shop tested it and it still draws 75#. Bruin

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Bruin,

I'm shooting a BowTech Patriot Bow, 30" Draw, 71# DW, 27.5" PSE Carbon Force Extreme 300 Arrows, Truglo's "Lite Site", doinker type stabilizer, whisper bisquit (sp?) rest, The lightest knocks I could find at Bass Pro, a string loop. The Bow has BowTech's silencing system (I could probably get over 300 if I removed them). I shooting AAE 4" vanes w/ a 1 deg offset. I'm using 100 grain heads.

I'm not in town right now so I can't tell you the exact weight of the arrows off the top of my head but, It seems like they were right around 400 grns.

The advantages of Carbon: If they ain't broke, they are straight! They are lighter, stronger, straighter, cheaper(when you figure in longevity), faster, etc., etc.

Contrary to what most believe, a Carbon arrow w/ appropriate speed will penetrate like heck. The skinny shaft allows it to follow the broadhead w/ less resistance.

Also, contrary to what most believe, If you put the weight and the faster speed of the carbon arrows into the Arrow Energy Equation, the carbons tend to have just about the same energy of the heavier slower arrows.

If you do decide to try Carbon arrows out, I would definitely suggest the PSE Carbon Force Extreme 300s. They are very strong and they have a better strightness than alot of the competition. They are also alot lighter than alot of the other carbon arrows out.

Last year (02' and 03' as well) I shot a Pearson 440 Quad that zipped the same exact arrows (29" then) at 275 FPS and I had no problem getting passthrus on whitetails. I got 4 last year w/ that Pearson, the last one at 30 yards on a slight quarter and the arrow passed through and burried about a foot in the ground on the other side, he never knew what hit him. That was w/ a Wasp SST Expandable w/ a 1.75" cutting diameter, it looked like Freddy Cruger went through that deer.

I fully realize that speed is not everything in bow hunting but, it sure is nice having a bow that is flat out to 30 yards and pretty quiet to boot. I take that High Country out every now-and-again just to hear the Thwack! of the string and watch the arrow arch to the target. Man that thing sounds like slapping a tree w/ a boat paddle.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
All speed does is make you miss them QUICKER. Yes I know speed does make a difference but it don't bother me. I shoot 120# spline cedar shafts and 2317 and 2419's out of my bow. I shoot Black Widow T/D thats 82@31 and I get a whopping 185fps out of this recurve. I love watching the arrow sail thru the woods and hit the mark, and if you shoot them(arrows) to fast you miss that arrow in slow-mo as it makes it's way along. I'll pass up fps for penetration any day. With a good heavy broadhead I always get pass thru.

Posts: 41 | Location: South-central Ohio ,USA | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Matthews LX ,30" Draw, 67#, Carbon Express CX400 with a 100gr Montec (400gr). The last time I chrongraphed it averaged 298 fps over 10 shots. Some had said the arrow weight is to light for big game. However the setup worked great in Africa last year.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Contrary to what most believe, a Carbon arrow w/ appropriate speed will penetrate like heck. The skinny shaft allows it to follow the broadhead w/ less resistance.

Yep, and it's a bitch to get them out of 3D targets too!

Posts: 1118 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, contrary to what most believe, If you put the weight and the faster speed of the carbon arrows into the Arrow Energy Equation, the carbons tend to have just about the same energy of the heavier slower arrows.

Many times these conversations are comparing apples to oranges. The only true test is two of the same brand of carbons (lht & dia) shot from two of the same type of bow with draw wt. adjusted so each arrow flys at the same speed, then one arrow is weighted heavier. Of course they must be shot from a machine to prevent shooter error.

If your're willing to do that same speed, same arrow dia & lenght. The heavier arrow is ALWAYS going to out penitrate it's lighter "twin". PERIOD.

Will your light carbon shot from your compound out penitrate my heavy maple arrow from my recurve...ABSOULTLY!

Would you bennifit from a heavier arrow yes to a point. Would I bennifit from a smaller diameter shaft......No question.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Boss,

We can all make it sound the way we want to. If you wanted them to be the same speed I guess I could find one of those little red fiberglass bows that shoot darts Big Grin. Just kiddin'

There ain't nothing worng w/ the Big slow arrows, my hat is off to you and any others that can shoot a recurve or long bow effectively. I've never messed w/ that art much but, from the little experience I've had w/ recurves, I relize it takes a true talent to be effective. I think I'll stick w/ my Fiber Optic sights and shoot little arrows at 295 FPS.

Have a Good One!

Reloader