Tools

Got a Bison
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Took this bull Saturday!

-

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
A better picture for showing off your smile. [Big Grin]

Read your post on the performance and details of your set-up. Sounds good to me on an animal this large.

You're right about one other thing, it is sometimes much better to hunt with a group.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Very nice! [Big Grin]

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Gawd Ann!

Tell us more about the hunt and the performance of the bow on the bull Bison please.

I must admit that I consider this sort of thing just short of the kind of crazy it takes to go after large brown bear .. with a bow. Thou hast great courage! I hope you had a friend with a cannon as backup on this one.

My shear admiration and greatest respects to you on this one!

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann - You're too much, girl! [Big Grin] I think you have given every man on AR a serious complex. I think if I ever have the good fortune to meet you all I shall be able to say is, "Yes, Ma'am." And "No Ma'am."

Now I'll just slink out of the room. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good show, Ann!

I'll not insult you by referring to your gender as I find it irrelevant to the issue.

The animal you took would make any hunter proud.

Regards,

Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Bruz>
posted
Wow, what a handsome animal...how close did you get, gulp.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's some more details. I also wrote about this on NitroX's website, also see the African forum here (Sharp Sticks thread)......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I love my snow camo. It is amungst the best camo out there. I can verify that it works. This bull was in a small herd of 8 and we were setting up an ambush position. They all came up the ridge and stopped when they saw my "decoys" further up, which were the rest of the group I was hunting with. The problem was the guys moved to soon which stopped the herd to soon. My bow was drawn and I had to eventually let it down. These bison were only 20 yards away. There was only a small deadfall of trees between me and them in the woods. I was crouched down on my knees for this shot.

So when I let the bow down they all looked at me but stood there confused. There was a stand off for several minutes and I remained still. When the other guys moved again, the bulls looked at them and turned to run off in the direction they came, which is when I shot my animal.

So he was 20 yards when I hit him with the first arrow. It burried to the fletching but was further back than I like into his liver. It did react with a buck and a lot of kicking. This being because he was begining to run off when I let go and I did not follow him as he was moving (stupid but probably the result of "nerves").

I shoot a 60 pound Parker bow, carbon arrows (Easton Red Lines) and Muzzy broadheads. All of my equipment functioned very well. The day was beautiful but very cold and I was heavily dressed. The terrain was challenging for me as I come from flat wooded country.

-

I landed a second arrow a short time later right into the crease, where I initially wanted to hit him and he ran a short distance and laid down for good. Before that arrow was let go I was wondering what this bull was planning. He was seperated from the herd and when he saw me getting close he began walking right to me, I had a video man behind me too. I wasn't sure he was going to turn but fortunately for me he did. Second arrow was probably 15 yards or less and hit him hard. It landed with a loud crack and burried again, to the fletching. The arrow must have hit the arm bones on the opposite side. The recovered broadhead was somewhat bent. As he ran off from this one the arrow snapped inside of him. A third arrow was added for insurance when I walked up on the downed animal. My quiver only holds three arrows so I knew I had to be precise. Other than the first shot, that was the case.

I don't think too many women have done this but those who have certainily have my respect. These bison are huge and can be intimidating. They look even bigger when you are on your knees trying to be small and blend in with the scenery! Some people have even taken them with traditional equiment, longbows and recurves, my hat's off to them.

Me and the guys:

-

I went on this excursion with a group from my SCI chapter. I did not know any of them before taking the trip. Great way to meet new friends. Try as I do, it's hard to get other ladies to go. They are really missing out.

John, do you think I could arrow one of your waterbuffs? I bet Oz is an archer's paradise. Christer, someday I will nail a moose too. I think you would have a great opportunity in Sweden to do moose as an archery hunt.

Some people ask why I do this (gun hunters), all I can say is being SO CLOSE to an animal SO BIG can't be beat for an adrenalin rush. Especially when they are wounded and decide to walk towards you!

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well told as always, Ann, with great photos to back it up. It just doesn't get any better than that.
P45

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

Some people ask why I do this (gun hunters), all I can say is being SO CLOSE to an animal SO BIG can't be beat for an adrenalin rush. Especially when they are wounded and decide to walk towards you!

You've got it right. Nothing beats it for the rush. Even small game seems bigger when you bow hunt.

I would like to hear more specifics about your snow/winter camo. Insulated or not, maker, source, etc.

[ 02-11-2003, 17:57: Message edited by: Hobie ]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the name of the maker on the camo suit. It is reversable to realtree or one of those common grey bark and foliage patterns. I believe I bought it through Cabela's a few years ago. I like winter hunting so got these. They are very thick for very cold weather. It consists of a bib and seperate jacket.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Thanks for responding. I think the pattern is a good one for my area and was interested. Also, I am sometimes abnormally uncomfortable in the cold and was looking for a good insulated set-up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[Eek!] NICE BULL...Looks like you will be eating a lot of stakes and hamburger this winter.

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Hi Ann,
Reading through your story which I think is just plain great, I was wondering if you have ever heard of a company called Trautmans Outdoor Products. They make an 8 arrow hip quiver that is second to none. I used to sell them in my shop but it was shut down years ago. I made up a couple of covers out of Polar Fleece to cover the fletch ends so they couldn't make noise. It had a loop of elastic around the bottom of the pouch with a thong that was attached to the quiver. You could make one up in snow camo and one in Real Tree. Once I tried out the hip quiver I dropped the bow quiver and never looked back. It ends the bow torque do to off center weight and the sail effect if a breeze catches a full bow quiver. Again congratulation on fine Bison.
Take good care
470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote