New
Find
Notify
Tools

ahhhhh
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I hunted a new area last night and was richly rewarded by watching about 15 deer cavorting through the canola fields. It was a great evening, warm with the perfect wind. I fell asleep in the tall grass and when I woke up the deer were on the move. They were slowly feeding their way toward my decoys but then they began moving away I thought I had spooked them. That is until I heard the commotion behind me and saw 3 coyotes hunting mice in the grass, I called one into about 15-20 feet but couldn't see him because of the grass, and I didn't want to show myself to the deer.

It's a great feeling to get out there and actually see stuff, I've had a dismal fall because my other area got F***ed up etc.

I think I'm back in the groove!!!!

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chief, nice retelling of a great evening in the field. That sounds peaceful and exciting at the same time!

I'm glad your back onto some game, and hope you find the big buck of the clan.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, Chef! I was out yesterday morning, hoping for an elk (I have to admit I was carrying a rifle, farmer doesn't like hunting to begin with, and doesn't allow bows), but they had crossed the road onto another property, and seemed to be happy there. Must have been the cattle that got turned out onto the elk's favorite pasture. A little after opening time a shot rang out. "Our" big bull is probably dead.

I had a whitetail fawn broadside at 20 steps or so, a few more close by, that actually crossed down-wind of me, but weren't alarmed. Another bunch across the field, and half a dozen far away near some hay bales. No bucks though, or none big enough for me to recognize them as such.

I'm seeing more dead deer by the side of the road. They are certainly getting more active.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote