THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    The Stuff you stick on a bow.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Stuff you stick on a bow.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Baised on what I have read, here and other places, direct advise from AR posters, and on advise from the guys at the bow shop, employees and experienced customers, here are my tentative plans on setting up my bow.

Quiver, probably go with the bow manufactures quiver. I am leaning toward the Mathews DXT, so I would use their 5 arrow quiver.

Arrow rest. I was leaning toward the Whisker Bisquet even though I have heard it is hard on the fletching.

The Bow shop suggested the Octane Pro Hostage rest. The fletching does not go through the bristles, but they say it holds the arrow very well.

Sight. Because of my eyedominance, and right eye vision, I find a single pin sight best for me. I think I like the HHA 5500 best. They did not have one in stock but some are due in next week.

Arrows. I know nothing about modern arrows. Thw bow shop suggested Carbon arrows by Easton, the 400gr Axis Nano if I remember correctly.

Broad heads. I know I want a cut on contact.

I was thinking about the G5 Montec, but they have suggested [insisted on] the Stryker.

They all like the 100 Grain best.

One guy did say his dad had great results on a pig with the Mangus [he showed me which one].

For small game I was thinking about the G5 SGH [small game head]. Several of them said they had used it with great results.

After they heard me talking about walking around on my deer lease, shooting squirrels, rabbits, raccoons etc. they said I might need a bunch of them, as they said, "OH yea, you are going to like bow hunting, you will be shooting a lot."

Release.
I was thinking about a Scott because I have heard of them. They all said they were good, but a couble of them said I might want to look at a Carter 2 Shot.

I looked at one, but did not shoot it.

It felt like it had a great "trigger pull", but it seemed to have too loud a "click" when "fired" to me.

This is the one item I am most unsure of. I plan to shoot again Friday and make my choices so I will shoot this release and a Scott I think it is the Mongoose

I would like to hear ya'lls opinions, and advice.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
i do not shoot with a quiver on my bow, so i like my removable alpine archery 5-arrow quiver. very quiet to remove, and if i have to shoot with it on, its very quiet

arrow rest, i had a whisker bqt but swapped it for a fall away. the seem to work fine for most folks. i shot feathers through it with no problems. i am not familiar with the octane rest

if you like that sight, go for it.

arrows, i would also recommend carbon. i shoot gold tip xt hunters, they work well for me, but there are many good brands. i also shot the redhead brand for a while from bass pro, that shot just fine.

i shoot the montecs and love them. i have not tried the stryker. my montecs fly just like my field points out to 60 yards with the same point of impact, so i will not be switching.

for a 60lb setup, i think i'd shoot 100gr. thats what i shoot out of my 70lb mathews outback. my guide couldn't believe the penetration i got on my elk last year. on a quartering shot

i shoot a scott lil mongoose, i like it. get one that feels right for you.

sounds like you got a lot of good advice at the store. and its good you got to try out a number of different bows. i am a mathews fan myself, i have an '04 model outback and wont' be trading it in anytime soon.

one thing on the peep... if you are going to be walking through the woods a lot, i would suggest a peep that does not have the rubber tube that helps with alignment. that can get snagged and broken. i also have a g5 metapeep. you may get it put on, then after a couple hundred shots your string may stretch a little, and the peep need readjusting.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
I like a hip quiver myself. If you have five or six arrows on a bow quiver even a small gust of wind will put you way off target. It is surprising how much the vanes will catch a breeze.
Take good care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cooper and Dave, thanks for the info.

Dave I did think about that, and also about the extra weight of the quiver and arrows on the bow. The Mathews quiver just snapps on and off so in windy conditions, and it tight quarter conditions I will just pop it off.

After testing for any impact changes it might cost of course.

They make a 3 a 5 and a 7 arrow quiver. I am thinking on getting the 5 arrow quiver.

Cooper, I have not looked at peeps yet, I do not think I want one with too small a hole.

Thanks for the heads up on the alignment tube. The way I hunt, and the places I hunt, I will be in thick brush a lot of the time.

One of Us
Picture of lhanson8
posted Hide Post
You're definitely on a good track...

I personally like the idea of the Octane rest over the whisker biscuit, the less contact the better!!!

I'd also go with the Montec over the Stryker, again nothing but personal preference. As to the weight, I'd look at which one gives you the better FOC on your arrow. The 125's may make your arrows a little to front heavy.

I like the Scott releases, mine is the little goose. I like the smaller caliper profile.

I also like the Alpine quivers. The soft lock is nice and quite and detaches quickly. The shop I go to is only stocking the Bear Claw, because they are quite a bit lighter and lock more securly than the soft lock. It looks like it attaches/detatches just as quickly.

Posts: 82 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 20 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be shooting a string loop, do I want a single caliper or a double caliper release.?

Everyone at the shop stated I would be better off with a 100gr broadhead, even though I told them I would be shooting pigs, black bear and elk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For your question regarding the string loop, it really won't matter if its a single or double caliper release. My primary release is a Scott Mongoose, and I love it. My backup is a double caliper Tru-Ball or TruFire (can't remember offhand). They both work well with the sting loop. As far as broadhead weight, the 100s will be plenty. That's all I've ever used, and have had no problems yet. Considering arrows, stick with carbon. They're either good or broken, never bent. Wink I prefer drop-away rests, but it's tough to go wrong these days. JMHO

gd

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am leaning toward a Scott release, the Carter just sounds too loud to me. but I will shoot them tomorrow and see.

Because a lot of the hunting I do will involve stalking pigs, I want a rest that will hole the arrow firmly in case I have to do some moving with the bow at full draw, or have to move the bow around some brush, etc.

The more I think about it the more I like the size and handling of the DXT.

From the first time I picked it up, it just felt good. When I shot it, I liked it right away.

As I shot the other bows, I would pick up the DXT and shoot it again.

It is light, handy, very smooth and very quiet.

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
I'm using the Short and Sweet release and I'm really happy with it. If your using a D loop you can gain a bit on your draw length. When you mentioned having a quick detach bow quiver you also mention the reason I like a hip quiver. When you get into a tight situation you would take it off, but what are you going to do with it then. Your impact could also change between having it off and on as you mentioned. If a person tree stand hunts then it's probably great. Once your in the stand you can take it off and still have your arrows close by. I watched a guy on Wild TV sneak up on a massive buck and he took his bow quiver off to sneak through the tall grass quietly. The buck stood up at 20 yards he missed the shot and the buck stood there for another 30 seconds and he had to stand and watch it. Keep your arrows with you Big Grin
Take good care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PoppaW
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. If you think 125gr heads are best for pigs and bigger don't let the sales people who may or may not have seen a pig sell you different. You have sound reasons for your choices. I don't think you can have too much FOC on a hunting arrow as it will all help you get through the critter. I too have a hip quiver but am going to try some others that sling on my back. I can't stand the extra weight and wind resistance while stalking with a bow quiver.
I find setting up the bow and accessories is half the fun.

WOODY
Everyone is allowed an opinion, even if its wrong.

Posts: 419 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 10 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You're on the right track.

If I were to suggest the accessories for a hunting compound bow to any newbie, I'd suggest:

HHA or Toxonics sight
Gold Tip XT Hunter 5575 for deer sized critters
Duravanes or Blazers
100 grain Shockwave Mechanical or G5s
Caliper wrist strap release
String loop
large peep with a tube
String Leeches
doinker(small)
braided wrist strap
Bohing Lynx 4 quiver
and a Whisker Biscuit Droptine rest

Think hard about the Mathews 2 pc quiver, When I target shoot and hunt, I never have a quiver on my bow, it is simply to carry arrows while on the move.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Walker
posted Hide Post
Well Must tell you besides your rest and sight i have that very same bow. i Use gold tip arrows XT hunters and they work great. think that setup will be on the money and you will not regret it.

Posts: 40 | Location: South Africa. | Registered: 15 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents thanks again for the info. See my post on exactly what I "brought home".

I went with the mathews quiver as I liked the fact that it is easy on off, and the arrows barely stick our past the bottom of the bow.

They mounted a G5 peep, with no tube. So far it always lines up good.

James, of all the bows I shot I liked the DXT by far and away the best.

One of Us
Picture of george roof
posted Hide Post
I've always hunted with the quiver on the bow. And as dumb as it might sound, I did so because of the extra weight. I know that the extra weight has some sound muffling qualities, so I just do it. No rhyme or reason, just always have.

As for the Montecs, I'm sorry, but there were a wasted piece of crap for me on my Switchback XT. Had the bow tuned, arrows spined properly and laser sighted. Field tips hit the "X" and the Montecs were 6 inches high, 4 inches to the left at 25 yards consistently. Satellites ended that but I didn't like them as the blades bent too easily. Went to Jackhammers and liked their sturdiness. Now I've gone to the best of both worlds IN MY OPINION, and bought the Rage mechanicals. Dead on with fields and broadheads and they cut on contact.

You sound as if you're on a good road to selecting your equipment that YOU like. Stick too it. We all have differing opinions.

RETIRED Taxidermist

Posts: 827 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote