Notify
Tools

Bow Tuning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is it?

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basically, it's getting your arrow coming off the string perfectly perpendicular.

It involves making sure your cams are turning in synch, and that your rest is properly adjusted.

Most people will paper tune their bow, which is shooting arrows through thin paper, then adjusting until there's no tears, only holes punched through.

Then once that is done, then the sight is adjusted to the arrow's flight.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I have a single cam and drop away rest should I be closer to being tuned?

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
If I have a single cam and drop away rest should I be closer to being tuned?

Perry

Yeah Perry, you need to paper shoot your bow and see how the paper tears. If the paper is tearing high, you need to drop your rest or your nocking point. If it's tearing to the right, you need to adjust it to the left. Keep doing that until you just have holes in the paper. Then you need to adjust your sight to where the bow is shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep! If you paper tune it and the hole is torn high, you need to drop your rest or your anchor nock. If it's tearing to the right, then you need to adjust your rest to the left. You need to keep adjusting things until you're just shooting holes in the paper.

THEN you adjust your sight to where the arrow is hitting.

Typically, paper tuning is done at ten yards or less.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Funny, it's something most pay another person to do for them....please, learn how to tune your own bow

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ted on this one. If you don't learn, on an expensive hunt the bow will go out of tune. Then you are screwed.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Funny, it's something most pay another person to do for them....please, learn how to tune your own bow

That is precisely why I am asking. I have always had a pro shop give it the once over and I now realize after bow hunting for years I know VERY LITTLE about bows. That's all about to change. Thanks again to everyone for the input.

Perry

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
This is a good guide from Easton. Print it out and study it.

Tuning Guide

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in tune the whole time. Two shots through paper looked just like Big Guys link.

You can NOW all get a good night sleep and quit worrying about it.

Perry