New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arrow help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got my old bow out after ? years to go up to my farm in Central Texas and try my luck bow hunting on small Hill Country deer.

Bought some new arrows that are not feathered (been 10 years since I got any) and my question is how can you straighten the plastic on the vanes after shooting into the target a few times and the vanes are ruffeled?

Still get fair accuracy but the plastic is all messed up after hitting the target and being pulled out.

Iron on low heat or ?

Thanks,

Jim

Posts: 229 | Location: Spring/Marble Falls , Texas | Registered: 08 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you will have to re-fletch. Archery country in Austin will do it. They have the supplies you will need if you want to try it yourself. There are also some vanes that are attached to heat shrink tubing, but i havn't used them.

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Nope you can't fix them. Kinda like trying to fix a burnt out light bulb. You need new fletches.

That being said they are still fine for practice until they really get tore up bad. Like you said the accuracy is fairly good. I've honestly still busted nocks with wrinkled and even torn fletchings. Many folks are really surprised how well an arrow with only two remaining fletches will shoot out of a finely tuned bow.

The key to this fine tuning is optimizing the draw weight to the spine of the arrow. If you have already paper tuned and walk back tuned. Check out Easton's Broadhead tuning tips and concentrate on the draw weight tuning.

If you do this your bow will shoot better with any broadhead style and fletching defects don't cause as much error.

One thing I really like about Blazers is their resistance to wrinkles and tearing. They are very tough vanes. When you re-fletch go with them. They last a lot longer and stick extremely well to wraps.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote