Find
Notify
Tools

Recurve arrow rest?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
I have an older custom made recurve bow: 47# at 28" What is a good arrow rest? I'm considering one of the rubber flipper type, but am not really aware of what is available. I don't want to drill any holes in the bow. Thanks.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You usually don't need a rest. Shoot right off the top of the grip. It should have shallow curve right above the grip, covered with leather or mole skin.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends. Most recurve shooters now shoot off the shelf with no rest. If you shoot instinctively this works well, however if you're a gap shooter you might want to get the arrow higher. Shooting off a rest brings the tip of the arrow more into your line of sight where you can use it for aiming. It also works well if you shoot three fingers under the arrow instead of split fingers. J_jola is right if you shoot off the shelf it should be padded with something.

cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a trad magazine I believe it is called three rivers that sells a seal skin rest with the hair still on.
They work very well.
Or you can take about any old piece of leather and cut your own and glue it on.
Personally I would not shoot a recurve or longbow unless it was off the shelf instead of a flipper.

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted Hide Post
I've always shot off of the shelf. Of course, I've always shot feather fletchings from my traditional bows. If you intend to shoot vanes, you'll have to have some kind of elevated rest.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote