THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Max Range of traditional and compound bows.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Max Range of traditional and compound bows.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Trigger Steve
posted
I have seen a good friend of mine Drop a Impala from about 30 meters with a recurve bow. I have also heard of a man shooting a Gemsbok from 45 meter with a long bow.

What is the Max range that A hunter should shoot at with traditional or Compound bow, and what is the max range one personally has successfully hunted at?

My personal Max range has been about 20meters with a Recurve bow when hunting guinea fowl.

Posts: 27 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trigger Steve:
I have seen a good friend of mine Drop a Impala from about 30 meters with a recurve bow. I have also heard of a man shooting a Gemsbok from 45 meter with a long bow.

What is the Max range that A hunter should shoot at with traditional or Compound bow, and what is the max range one personally has successfully hunted at?

My personal Max range has been about 20meters with a Recurve bow when hunting guinea fowl.

The maximum range for archery hunting isn't an arbitrary number, it is based on the archer and the equipment being used.

I shoot a compound bow and am quite comfortable shooting targets out to 75 yards, but I refuse to take a shot at an animal beyond 50 yards, and then the conditions have to be perfect. I prefer to have the shot at 25 yards or even less, because that's the point of bowhunting, getting as close to the quarry as possible.

I know one guy that is a very skilled archer and hunter. I've watched him shoot 100 yard groups that are as small as others shoot at 30 yards, but he won't shoot beyond 50 yards at an animal either.

On the other hand, I know guys that have a hard time shooting an animal well at 20 yards! By the same token, I've watched videos where mule deer and elk have been taken with archery equipment at over 100 yards! I don't like that kind of bowhunting, but that's MY personal beliefs and ethics coming into play.

The thing that many fail to consider too is even though you might be able to accurately place an arrow at long distance, what kind of penetration is the arrow going to get to make a quick and clean kill?

There is no hard and fast rule on maximum distances to take game with archery equipment any more than there is with a rifle.

I wish I could tell you "with compound bows, the maximum range is X yards, with traditional equipment, it's Y yards," but that's not the case.

It's all based on the hunter's skill, the equipment and the hunter's personal ethics.

Start shooting and keep backing up and shooting more. Once you fail to keep six arrows in a six inch circle, you've found your maximum distance to shoot, assuming of course your arrow penetration is still adequate.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked the sorta the same question about a recurve a few months ago, might want to go back and look it up if you want to. As far as compounds go, its where you feel safe shooting just as with anything else you are shooting. If I know I could hit the animal I'll shoot. I shot a buck a few years ago at 80 yards or so. But I also had my brother behind me watching where the arrow went also. It all depends on you and how you feel.

Posts: 524 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of F.C.Selous Stu
posted Hide Post
unless the archer is really accurate I would believe that compound bows are more accurate over longer distances. I know a guy who shot a kudu at 60m with a compound. I also know another guy who used to swear by longbows then he was given a bowtech alliegance and he looks back and says that he was wasting time with the longbow. If you cant fataly hit an animal with either a compound or recurve at less than 30 meters , you shouldnt be hunting with a bow! Stick to rifles or stones or whatever.. horse

The Archer seeks the mark upon the path of the infinite,

The Prophet
Kahlil Gibram

Posts: 117 | Location: Durban/Grahamstown, South Africa | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you cant fataly hit an animal with either a compound or recurve at less than 30 meters , you shouldnt be hunting with a bow! Stick to rifles or stones or whatever.. horse

I understand what you're saying, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

What you do have to do is understand your maximum effective range and stay within that range.

I know some guys that are quite accurate at 20, but cannot hit the inside of a barn at 30! But they know their limitations and make every effort to get the animal within their range.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends how good you are at getting close. If you can get within 15 yards but others can only get within 30 should you have to be able to shoot to 30??

I'm not a good rifle shot but damned I'm sneaky! Maybe I shouldn't be hunting with a gun if I can't shoot to 500 yards.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't use traditional equipment at all but my max range on game with a compound is probably 70 yards. The only time I think I might need to take a shot that long would be on pronghorn. I wouldn't shoot that far on an elk. Realistically, on a deer, I would feel comfortable at 60, 50ish for elk.

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

i hunt with recurves and longbows and have for approx 35-40 years. my max range is 20 yards. if i can't get closer, or the game won't come any closer, i don't shoot. oh, i might get lucky at 30 yards, but i won't take the chance. i did shoot a compound for a couple years back in the 80's, but just didn't like it. there is no doubt a person can become more proficient, and do so faster with a compound and sights. and i wish them well. if you want to make killing shots at distance, go with the compound. the trad bow is just as deadly as the compound in the hands of a person who understands the limitations of the weapon. good luck on your choice.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Shof, I don't think that just because somone is not accurate at 30 yards means he needs to hand up his bow. It only means that he needs to limit his shots to less than 30 yards- wherever he is accurate. I tell new hunters that they should not take a shot on wild game at a distance beyond where they can hit a tennis ball 5/5 times on the practice range. It's not a black line rule, but I think it's a fair guide.