Find
Notify
Tools

Newbie bow hunter question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
I just started. I am shooting a 60# 30" PSE Whitetail Extreme.

I am shooting paper plate sized groups at 40yds and am happy how my skills are getting better.

I practice at least every other day. 5 shots, rest 3-5 min., 5 more, rest 5 more. Quit. As I get tired, I have noticed my groups don't really open up, but start to drift to the left. Any reason why? It that typical or just me?

thanks

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The reason for the left drift is you are getting tired. You are starting to let your left shoulder move in due to tired muscles. This will kick the bow to the left. Rest a few days, then take note of your shoulder and arm position when rested. Shoot until you start throwing arrows left and take another look at your position. You will be out of line.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
No your right handed so as you tire your pulling more to the right upon release. It happens alot.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
I mean left.///

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duckear

Go to the nearest bowshop and ask the pro to help you. He should be able to see what you do wrong and be able to help you correct your mistake.

Wimpie

Posts: 166 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 14 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
It's from getting tired.

Stop when you start to feel tired, this is how bad habits start....

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Shoot a few groups until you get tired and then put it up. If you keep shooting while tired, you'll get frustrated and may adjust something you shouldn't.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
duckear,

form is 90% + when talking about shooting consistancy. Set yourself several anchor points. I mean like your hand behind your jaw, kisser button, peep sight, nose to the string. the more anchors you have the better chances you have of shooting the same everytime. Break yourself of dropping the bow to see the arrow after the shot. hold the bow like it was never fired. it will keep you from pulling shots.

If you are shooting at a paper plate and hitting it on a consistant basis it is time to change targets. move down to a target the size of the top of a soda can. and continue down as your skills improve.

at the first sign of getting tired stop and try again later. poor form fosters bad habits and can distroy any progress you have made.

good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The release is part of the aiming process, you shoud try to view your arrow striking the target thru your sights. As hunting season nears I only shoot one arrow at a session, that is all you will get at a buck. I try to put the first arrow in the X, I then walk away do other things for awhile and come back and shoot another arrow. You can easily get into a rythmn shooting a bunch of arrows and this is something that you never get to do at game.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.

I am afraid this bow thing is going to get addictive. Wink

(So is the wife!)

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote