THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Cape Buffalo Arrow for 2012
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Buffalo Arrow for 2012
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I applaud your dilligence in sourcing the very best in equipment but really angle iron ?

I seriously doubt if any buffalo will present you with the same problems you are encountering with the angle iron.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Hi, Alf, long time no see.

How stuff breaks when pushed beyond its limit can tell you a lot about it. I have never claimed that the angle iron is any sort of realistic model of a cape buffalo.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don:

In the early 80's I too had visions of hunting buffalo with the bow and after a disaster shooting and wounding a giraffe with a Alpine bow with inadequate arrow I set about seeking a solution.

There were no heavy draw weight bows at the time so many years later I had a set of custom 120 pound limbs made for a PSE Mach 6 but that failed as the limbs delaminated in the bow case.

For Arrows We used two Easton aluminium arrows one large diameter with a smaller arrow that fit into the larger arrow and glued with a layer of Bostick to stop them from ratting. That gave us weight.

For broad heads I took the old two blade Howard hill design and had a medical toolmaker friend to machine me a set of like broad heads. They were long narrow affairs, we had no idea of weight or anything, we simply made them and shot them.

What was ironic in all of this was that I shot my only buff with a bow not with that equipment but with a 60 pound Hoyt Pro Medalist, Easton 2114 XX75 and a old, no longer made, Robin Hood Chiselpoint.

I was not hunting buffalo per se but bumped into 3 bulls lying up in the middle of a very hot summer day down in "my Africa"

I was walking with the bow and as I came over the edge of a erosion ditch, one of those typical african dry sand creeks that only flow in summer thundershowers; the 3 bulls were in the creek bottom, two were lying down facing away from me the third was standing facing away from me. It was very very hot !

The light breeze was in my favour they had no idea I was above them just 15 m away.

I shot the standing bull behind the rib cage with the arrow disappearing right into the chest from behind, through the liver.

The two that were lying down jumped up and stood looking away from me, the one that was shot took a step forward and stopped, he was bleeding profusely from both nostrils , it was as if there were two hosepipes on full flow coming from his nose, he then stopped forward and stumbled a few steps and then fell down, he tried to get up and kicked a bit in doing so, only now did the other two take off.

I was shaking ! it was the most incredible thing I had ever done. Not for one minute did I ever consider that "what If " perhaps I was young and dumb.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Alf,

That is a great description of a once in a lifetime event.

Can you say where "my Africa" was? My memory ain't what it once was, but I'm coming up with Rhodesia.

I hope I'd have done what you did if presented the opportunity, so I must be old and dumb.

Thanks for sharing.

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don:

Wink "My Africa" on a good day before it gests to hot you can see the hazey outline of the Drakensberg ( Dragons mountains) in the distance perhaps an indication of why they named a small village Hazyview not to far from there. It was the very place where Louis Trichardt and his trek passed on his way through the tseste and fever flats down to Lourenso Marques now Maputo all those years ago.

It was home for me for almost 40 years..... now it is changing, politics, expansion and exploitation for commercial gain has changed the landscape forever.

Large tracts of land are being bought up by corporations, turned into game lodges and reserves where luxury 4x4 vehicle traffic is so heavy over a weekend you need traffic signals at the bush road intersections.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
It was home for me for almost 40 years..... now it is changing, politics, expansion and exploitation for commercial gain has changed the landscape forever.

Large tracts of land are being bought up by corporations, turned into game lodges and reserves where luxury 4x4 vehicle traffic is so heavy over a weekend you need traffic signals at the bush road intersections.

Unfortunately, that could describe almost everywhere I've ever lived.

Don_G

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Wahoo!

Just got word the broadheads will ship tomorrow! I love it when a plan comes together.

dancing

Don_G

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don I migt be a little late but have you looked at the "victory" arrows? They have one called the victory armour piercing or VAP and it looks like something that would work well for your set up.

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
The VAP is VERY small ID (.166), and would need yet another custom adapter to fit the head. The ID of those new arrows is so small it is hard for me to see how you can ever get them to work for heavy arrows. Even the SS adapter made by Victory is known to fail easily.

With enough work you could make a custom insert/outsert to get it to tie well to a Dauntless, but even the 250 spine is not enough by itself. It would then need an external footer almost a foot long to get the spine high enough to support a 375 grain total BH + adapter weight.

I did some homework. It looks like an 1816 external footer combined with a 2013 external footer would get the OD correct. The ID pretty much matches an 8-32 screw, so you could make it work. The total external footer length would need to be about 8."

Don_G

one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
See also:
Dauntless Testing

Don_G

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
Don:

Wink "My Africa" on a good day before it gests to hot you can see the hazey outline of the Drakensberg ( Dragons mountains) in the distance perhaps an indication of why they named a small village Hazyview not to far from there. It was the very place where Louis Trichardt and his trek passed on his way through the tseste and fever flats down to Lourenso Marques now Maputo all those years ago.

I have to parrot Don_G. Its sad, and unfortunately it somewhat describes everywhere I have lived. Substitute luxury 4x4 vehicle traffic for big lowbeds moving drill rigs, oil & gas service vehicles, logging trucks and coal mines though.

On the upside, ALF, it is nice to see so much of RSA being managed for wildlife...even if its is so commercialized.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote