New
Find
Notify
Tools

2004 Darton bows?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has any one bought or shot any of the 2004 Darton bows yet? I've been trying to find a pro shop here in South East Michigan that has some in stock, but it seems no one has got any shipments yet. I want to shoot a couple different models before I by one. The Avalanche Extreme really caught my eye,as well as the Magnum Extreme. I Cant wait to send a few shafts down range with them both.
Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot the Mag Extreme, Avalanche and the Typhoon, and two guys I shoot with are using the Tundra. The only change from 2003 to 2004 for the Mag Extreme and Avalanche is the camo. Other than that it is like last year's model. All of these use the Extreme cam system. Very smooth on the draw, nice valley without being excessive, and solid back wall. They are also VERY quiet. I'm a Darton bow fan, I shoot a 2002 Rampage. Although quiet, it still has the Darton "twang" that Darton shooters know well. Although not loud, when you shoot the bow you know the sound! Last time at my local shop, I shot my Rampage and then the new Typhoon. My Rampage has a Sims modular stabilizer, Sims cable guard dampener, Sims limbsavers, and whiskers on the string. The Typhoon I shot was naked. It was also quieter. Noticeably quieter. It was love at first shot. It is now on my wish list.

Back to the original questions, the Mag Extreme is a nice bow, but a little too short for me. I'm 6'4", and the short A to A bows are just a little too squirrely for me. The Avalanche, at ~34" A to A isn't too bad, about the minimum I'd shoot. A very nice bow, quiet with little hand shock or jump. Very maneuverable in a tree or in a blind. The Typhoon, at 37" A to A and 7" brace height is perfect to me. It is pretty identical in dimensions to my Rampage but has the improved cam and a different riser. It represents the best combination of maneuverability, shootability and speed to me. The Tundra is a longer (~41"?) A to A bow. It also has the recurve style limbs like the Maverick, if you like that style. Very stable, very shootable with release or fingers, but not as maneuverable as the Avalanche or Typhoon. It does make a very nice target bow though.... I looked at the Vapor, but wasn't interested. It's a step down in quality and looks to the others and I'm not sure that it doesn't use the Express cam rather than the Extreme, but don't quote me on that.

Darton really has a nice product out this year, and the new camo and cam colors look great. Good luck in your choice, I don't think you can go wrong with the Darton. To me, they are the best "value" available in a bow today.

Joe

Posts: 55 | Location: Corunna, MI, USA | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply Joe. I agree with Darton being one of the best bows going for their value and performance.
Ive owned three Dartons during my 15 years of hunting and shooting, and I have no complaints whatsoever.My current setup is a 1996 model Darton Wrangler, still shoots great, but its getting up there in years,so I figure its time for another.
Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote