THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    Trophy Ridge Sights and Rests

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy Ridge Sights and Rests
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thinking about getting back into bowhunting. I have not used a bow in the last three or four years, but I look forward to hunting whitetails again next year with my Mathews Q2. Since it has been a while and accessories (especially bowsites and rests) have improved so much; I figure it is time for an accessory upgrade.

Sights:
I am looking at Trophy Ridge Matrix Guide Series Sight.

Arrow Rests: I am looking at three:
Whisker Bisquit
Muzzy Zero Effect
Trophy Rdige Drop Zone

Any insights from those of you with experience with these products wouls be appreciated. Thanks,

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
If you practice a lot the whisker biscuit will eat your plastic vanes. You cannot use feathers at all.

My twin brother has a Trophy Ridge Shaky Hunter, and loves it. I and my middle brother use the Quality Archery Designs (QAD) UltraRest. I think it is the cat's pajamas.

Sights are even more of an individual choice than all the rest. I have a 3 pin Cobra Sidewinder, and like it OK, but I have a single pin TruGlo adjustable (like an "EZ-Slide") that is great for short-range deer stand hunting.

S-Coil Stabilizer is definitely worth checking out. I took off all my older (and 4x expensive) stabilizers to put these on all my bows.

Good luck!

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

Thanks for the heads up on the whisker bisquit. This is just the sort of info I needed. That one is now scratched off the list. I use feathers. The Sims stabilizer is something I will check as well. Thanks. Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hugh,

I was a big fan of the TR Matrix sights until I saw the Vital Bow Gear Trapper. It is a vertical 3 pin sight (I think they come in 5 pins also) that has glow in the dark tape under the fiber optics. It is by far the brightest sight I have ever seen. I also use a VBG Ultimate Fall-a-Away rest. It holds the arrow at rest, but releases on the draw and drops away at the shot, really the best of both worlds.

As far as the Whisker Biscuit, I had one before the Ultimate, it works good, it just seemed to magnify any flaws I had due to the total containment. That being said, if you do use it, use Blazer vanes. I use those and with the WB, there was no problem with wear or damage to them.

Posts: 14 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: 06 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
Have the Drop Zone on my Bowtech Patriot and absolutely love it. No issues or problems. Tunes easy -- Just tune it and forget about it. Tried some other drop away rests and had contact problems. Not this one.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
I second the opinion on the Whisker Bisket...Great theory, but does eat up the vanes...

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 bows. A Merlin Storm with a MZE and a Bowtech VFT Extreme with a Drop Zone. The MZE was a little harder to set up but I had more difficulty getting vane clearance on the Drop Zone. I prefer the MZE for the arrow holder. You have to turn the bow upside down for the arrow to fall off, and the MZE is mechanical both up and down. The drop zone relies on a spring to pull it down.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote