THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BOW HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Bowhunting    very pleased with Slick Tricks

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

very pleased with Slick Tricks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have used every broad head under the sun from Zwickey 2 blades to Rage mechanicals but I think I can say I have found one that REALLY shines. I have settled on the 100gr S.T. Great accuracy, flight, durability and GREAT blood trails. I shoot a 54# Matthews with 29" FMJs. I have killed 4 bucks this year and none have gone more than 40 yards, all 4 were double lung, 2 quartering away. Typically lung shot deer do not bleed much but the ST really opens them up, heavy blood. For years now I have shot 2 blade Stingers but these are now my go to.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahh yes, another satisfied Slick Trick user. I started using them about five years ago. In that time, I've killed 7 or 8 whitetail, two exotic sheep, a black bear, a 5x5 bull elk, two wild hogs, an American bison and an Asian water buffalo.

I've been more than happy with the blood trail left and with the exception of one boar and the water buffalo, got pass-throughs on all the other animals.

The heads are EXTREMELY durable, quite sharp right out of the package, and they fly to the same point of impact that my field tips do.

Prior to Slick Tricks, I shot Muzzy broadheads. While I liked the way they killed animals, I found that I was bending too many heads after the arrow passed through and stuck in the ground. While I don't mind replacing heads, the all steel design of the Slick Tricks just seems to hold up better.

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FYI...Slick Trick is sponsoring a wild boar shootout at my hunting operation Clarkrange Hunting Lodge in Clarkrange, Tennessee from 20-23 January. Price is $650 plus tax for three days hunting, four nights lodging and includes lodging, guide fees, kill on one European wild boar, field dressing, and recovery of boar. Primary hunting method will be with bay dogs but 2 man ladder stands over bait are also available. Gary Cooper, owner of Slick Trick, will be on hand and each participant will receive a ST hat and a free pack of broadheads and will also be featured on my TV show which airs on FOX Sports. Anyone interested can email at hunt@kenmoody.com or phone us at 800-585-4868.

Posts: 149 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allright, Im sold, I will be buying some slick tricks this week....

Might have to switch off the rage broadheads as they are just not great for stalking as a blade of grass or a stick will pop them open....

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Slick Trick Magnum 100 4 blade heads and they've been devastating.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep good records of everything that gets hunted with us especially with regards to bow hunting.
In the past 5 years 93 animals from Steenbuck to Eland were hunted with Slick Trick. They are great broad heads!!

Fritz Rabe
Askari Adventures & Fritz Rabe Bow-hunting

Posts: 217 | Location: Musina South Africa | Registered: 08 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just started usingg them this year and I love em they fly straight and hit hard.

Posts: 201 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone know how they work on the shorter shafts of a crossbow? Got one for Christmas ans just starting to play with it. Want to try it on whitetails next season.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot for the life of me figure any reason why they wouldn't work as well shot from a crossbow as they would from a compound!

They fly straight, they're sharp right out of the package, the ferrule tip is sharp and being made of steel, it holds up well to the abuse of running through an animal and burying into the ground.

I've killed animals with them ranging from 5 to 1,400 lbs, and they've done the job for me. I can't imagine that they'd fail for you!

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flags:
Anyone know how they work on the shorter shafts of a crossbow? Got one for Christmas ans just starting to play with it. Want to try it on whitetails next season.

Crossbow bolts don't have spin built into the fletching. That coupled with being shorter than compound arrows makes them much more sensitive to front of center balance. The 150gr or 175gr Xbow Tricks are designed for crossbow bolts.

I shoot the 125gr Slicktrick Standards in my setup. They have done very well for me.

BTW, the Standards and Magnums use the same ferrel. If you buy standards and want the bigger cut diameter just buy a pack of magnum blades. You can change broadheads just by changing blades.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MTarcher
posted Hide Post
anybody see any advantage or prefer the razortricks over the standard? Going to Namibia in May.

Posts: 56 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 13 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 50 pounds and a 400gr arrow so I lean on the side of penetration over cut diameter.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MTarcher:
anybody see any advantage or prefer the razortricks over the standard? Going to Namibia in May.

Here is an answer to your question

http://forums.accuratereloadin...101081711#5101081711

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MTarcher
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gerhard.
I was trying to decide between Slick Trick Standards and Razortricks. Both fly with my fieldpoints. The Razortricks are quieter out of my bow, and I like the idea of a cut on contact head. I think I'll go with the Razortricks.

Posts: 56 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 13 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Take both...

Do a search for slick trick here on the forum and you will read similar reports.

Personally Slick Trick Std's are my 1st choice to hunt with since '05...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice to hear good reports about the Slick Tricks.

I am new to bow hunting, but after doing a lot of research and watching a lot of bow hunting shows I knew I only wanted cut on contact broadheads.

The bow shop I do business with, along with several of their customers, recommended mangus Buzz Cut broadheads baised on MY requirements that i only wanted one broadhead for wild pigs, bears elk, and thus they woulod be good for deer as well.

So I started with Mangus Buzz Cuts.

I have shot two deer a buck and a doe and I used the same arrow/broadhead for both. Complete penetration both times, lots of internal damage and less than 40 yards traveled for both kills.

However the Mangus has a lot of blade width, so I thought that for longer ranges and for higher wind conditions that the Slick Trick 4 blade with its smaller width, would "catch" the wind less, and be better for those conditions.

So I bought some. To my suprise they hit the exact same place as my Mangus blades, out to 40 yards. [Not that I am ready to shoot game that far yet, now I limit myself to 25 yards].

I plan to do a bunch of bow hunting this next year, as a new guy on my lease is a bow hunter, and now I have someone to hunt with, so I hope to give the Slick Tricks a try.

However, I can say that those Mangus Buzz Cuts are BAD TO THE BONE. BAAAAD.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
I shoot 50 pounds and a 400gr arrow so I lean on the side of penetration over cut diameter.

Perry

I did not read carefully. I thought he was asking about the Griz Tricks.

P

One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
I experiment with broadheads about every other year, and after seeing how well they shot I switched to slick tricks 100gr magnums. On paper and at the range everything worked great -- they are made of high quality materials and shot consistently well with tight groups. Then I hunted with them for about a year -- had mixed experiences -- on smaller animals or if they hit only soft tissue they were devastating with large wound channels. However, I found that a squat 4-bladed head just cannot penetrate as well as a well constructed 3 or 2 blade -- just the laws of physics which were backed up by my actual field experience and shots on game.

Your mileage may vary -- but after a year I went back to my Shuttle-Ts. And, I really wanted to love Slick Tricks.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arrow Slinger:
I experiment with broadheads about every other year, and after seeing how well they shot I switched to slick tricks 100gr magnums. On paper and at the range everything worked great -- they are made of high quality materials and shot consistently well with tight groups. Then I hunted with them for about a year -- had mixed experiences -- on smaller animals or if they hit only soft tissue they were devastating with large wound channels. However, I found that a squat 4-bladed head just cannot penetrate as well as a well constructed 3 or 2 blade -- just the laws of physics which were backed up by my actual field experience and shots on game.

Your mileage may vary -- but after a year I went back to my Shuttle-Ts. And, I really wanted to love Slick Tricks.

I wonder how big your game animals are?

I've never had a Slick Trick stay inside a whitetail. I've taken wild hogs with them as well and the only one that stayed inside was buried blades deep in the joint of the shoulder on the off side.

Then too I've gotten a complete pass-through on an American Bison and almost a pass-through on an Asian Water Buffalo.

One of Us
Picture of Arrow Slinger
posted Hide Post
Shof,

Glad to hear that you've had very positive experiences with them -- if they work for you keep using them -- they fly great.

As previously stated -- shot them for about a year or so -- a number of non-pass thrus on deer sized game and bigger (had a very tough time on very large wild boar w/plates). Maybe it was due to the squatter / wider magnums, but they just did not penetrate as well as Shuttle-Ts or other steel furrle 3-blades.

Just sharing my actual experience -- really like the design and flight - just didn't work that well.

Had a issue with another well revered head - Muzzy Phantom SS 220gr which I used for DG - Cape and Asian WB, Monster Hog, etc. Flew great, however when I recoved the arrow on a number of shots the blades were broken off. Will be looking at Silver Flames or another strong 2-Blade for my DG setup.

Posts: 106 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to use 175 grain Xbow Trick on my PG spot and stalk bow hunt this year.
I shoot a 600 grain complete arrow at 260 fps(measured) with 13% foc.
I think I will have good enough penetrationSmiler

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
You might consider a two blade for African PG. Some fly very well. Look at the VPA series. The Aussies love the 150/175 grain. They say they'll have a single-bevel soon.

VPA Penetrator

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel totally confident that the Xbow Trick will penetrate well and do a good job on the PGs I am going to hunt.
If I was going to use a two blade, then I would use either the 180 grain or the 210 grain SilverFlame from German Kintics.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat the GK SF for a double-bevel broadhead. tu2

Don_G

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never played with slick tricks,.

But my son did a broadhead/arrow penetration project for his science fair this year. He took fourth place at Regionals.

The expandable broadhead he tested was the Rage. After shooting them into a foam block numerous times. I have zero faith in them as a mechanical, and would not recommend them.

We shoot mostly traditional in this house, and I prefer solid two blade cut on contact heads. But my youngest shoots a compound, so I will probably be on a learning curve once again as he starts his bowhunting career.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Yep, I had to learn the mechanical lesson the hard way. They are just so much more forgiving of mis-tuning that they are hard to ignore.

As an African PH said on another site(approx) " Any broadhead that spins true will fly like a field tip if the bow is perfectly tuned."

I think he's right, but the bigger the "sail" up front the closer to perfect it has to be.

Mechanicals are completely off my list.

Don_G